Changing radio on 306

Hi all; I know this topic has been discussed before. I bought my missus a new Pioneer Radio/CD player for Christmas, but have been unable to get the old unit out! I have tried several long strips of metal (hacksaw blades etc.) without success, so I might have to take it to an auto electrician or suchlike. Can anyone advise how much they are likely to charge to remove and replace the units? If I do finally manage to get the old one out myself, is it a straightforward ISO connector block or are there other leads for the steering column arms? Also, should I disconnect the battery before messing around? Many thanks, John

Reply to
John Orrett

When you get it out there are separate connectors for the joystick it plugged straight into my alpine head unit (mines a 98 R)

to get it out use two small flat headed screw drivers and insert then half a centimetre into the 2 holes underneath the stereo lift the screw drivers up and it'll release the unit, stick your fingers in the tape slot for a nice grip and pull it out

its a gental job and wont require any force, maybe a little when your pulling the unit out

Reply to
Mark

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a go tomorrow. Regards John

Reply to
John Orrett

Mine in my '98 306 resisted all my efforts, the local Peugeot dealer said he would have a go for no charge and proceeded to try with the proper implements for 20 minutes before he gave up. After two days of trying I was about to give up when I decided to try two tiny screwdrivers, the kind for fixing spectacles, inserted just a tiny way less than a centimetre and lift the ends upwards. This time I heard a slight click, holding both screwdrivers at the same angle I pulled at the cassette slot and it just came out. The connectors on the back are standard ISO with a separate connector for the joystick and I didn't disconnect the battery when I fitted the new one.

Reply to
VulcanXH558

Good stuff. Thanks VulcanXH558! I'll let you know how I get on. Regards John

Reply to
John Orrett

"VulcanXH558" wrote in message news:cDiLb.10040$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net...

Finally got it out! I went to my local Peugeot dealer and they spent 20 mins with various pieces of funny shaped metal trying to get it out. Eventually I grabbed a flat blade screwdriver, stuck it underneath the radio in the middle and pushed down. Lo and behold, the thing popped out and I unplugged it all. Now please excuse the ignorance while I ask a couple of questions. I have connected the unit up using the ISO connector and tried it out successfully. However, my old Clarion unit had an extra connector block covered in some kind of material (I presume for the remote), while the new Pioneer unit does not have the same size connector. Also, the aerial lead from the car does not fit into the Pioneer, being too big. Can I get a little cylindrical converter as such? When the unit was delivered in the box, it was already inside the metal sleeve. Can I leave this as is, or should I remove the player, insert the sleeve into the dashboard and try and anchor it in place with the lugs, and then put the Pioneer back in it? Finally, I have bought a facia plate for the car. I presume that this slides over the back of the unit to the front of it and just sits there, held in place by the radio, as there is no fixing option for the facia plate. Again, sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for the help so far. Having got this far, I am determined to try and do it myself rather than take it to an auto electrician.

Best wishes, John

Reply to
John Orrett

enable me to use the cars remote with my Sony. The metal sleeve should be fitted first and fixed in place by pressing out the lugs so that when you slide your radio in place it will lock into position, you should also have a tool to release the radio from the sleeve should you need to take it out again. I never bothered to get a facia because it looks ok without one but i know someone that used double sided foam pads to stick the facia to the dash because there was no other way to fix it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike, Regards John

Reply to
John Orrett

Sorry to jump on yer post m8 :

Mike couldn't help but notice you mentioned: my Sony unit i got an adaptor lead to enable me to use the cars remote with my Sony.

I use a sony unit as well were can i get this adapter for the remote and what sort of money we talkin

Thanx for your help !!

Autoleads (google search) costs about £30.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

She can do without it. She never used it with the old radio anyway. If I don't tell her, she'll never know! I had to go to Halfords today to get an aerial converter from the Pug to the Pioneer, as the Pug connector was far too big for the new unit. I'll have a go at fitting it in the next couple of days :-). Regards John

Reply to
John Orrett