Daihatsu into 90 queries

Hi thanks for reading.

I have the oportunity to fit a Daihatsu diesel engine into my 90. It has 3.5 v8 at the mo but as you all know V8's dont like the wet stuff.

Anyhow, have any of you done this conversion? Do you have any advise/recommendations?

Any hints or tips or advise would be welcome to me and I'm sure, others of the group.

TIA Roy.

Reply to
LR90

On or around Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:00:33 +0000 (UTC), "LR90" enlightened us thusly:

I know someone who's got a daihatsu 2.8 NA with its gearbox in a 90. He bought an ex-UN 90 with no engine and box, cheap.

the 2.8 NA is OK. the older ones are I think smaller. The 2.8 turbo would go pretty well. You'll probably need some form of adapter to the LR box, but this is a conversion that people do, so they must be available somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Depends how you define 'wet stuff'. IME the V8 is surprisingly good, just so long as the ignition system is in very good condition. For very long, or very deep, wading a diesel is obviously much better, but I've been as deep as I dared without getting water in the intake of my (previous) V8 Disco. It did misfire a fair bit on the second lap round, but never stopped. It was totally standard without any preparation.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Thanks for replies guy's.

I am talking water up the screen basically, having done this last month and struggling on everything from 2-8 cyls for a while after I have decided to go diesel. Also the V8 is costing me a bloody fortune as I have to use it daily.

I do have a 2.8 turbo but also the chance of a 2.5 with adapter fitted, so will have all manner of engine for sale soon.

Whats the gearing like? anybody know? I don';t particularly want to be screaming down the motorway at 60, I prefer not to give anybody the chance to rear end me!

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90