diahatsu engine conversion?

Hi all. Just in the throws of aquireing a diahatsu thing with the 2.8td lump in it (52 000 miles) I am just pondering using it to stick in a 110. Steve Parker does a conversion kit for about £250. Has anybody driven a landy with this engine type? if so what was the performance like compared to the tdi?

Thanks in advance Icky

Reply to
icky

On or around Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:55:46 GMT, "icky" enlightened us thusly:

chap I know has a nonturbo 2.8 in a 90, reckons it's good. 2.8 turbo would go nicely in a 110, I should think.

IIRC, there's a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator. Mind, there's one like that on my bus which is a transit lump.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Should go very nicely indeed - my mate has a Fourtrak with that engine and it goes very well.

Yes there is.

Reply to
EMB

Cheers for that I don'nt supose you know how much the insurance companies will extract the urine for such a mod?

Reply to
icky

Precision and conversion do a very good kit, that I used to put the 2.8 turbo in my 90, I love this engine and after a 3.5 V8 is so economical. Cant compare to a Tdi though except to say that these engines come quite cheap and even with the conversion kit it works out cheaper than the Tdi.

As Austin says you either need the Daihatsu alternator 45 amps max with the voltage regulator (PIA wiring) or find an alternator with the vacuum pump on the back for the servo.

I used the dai pressure plate with LR friction plate, just a little adjustment on the rod to make clutch engage.

If your lucky you'll have the LR heater plug circuit which works nicely with the dai, it wont start without heaters though as it is in-direct injection which does make them quieter than Tdi.

If I can help with anymore advise please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards, Roy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "icky" Newsgroups: alt.fan.landrover Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:55 PM Subject: diahatsu engine conversion?

Reply to
LR90

I insure through Lancaster (found in most LR mags) and actually got a refund of £80 as the engine was smaller thannthe V8.

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90