Dead Battery not now

SII with electric problems? After last night Battery charged ?

06:00 still drawing 3 Amps 17:00 drawing 1-2 Amps "Lucas 650a/hr" Voltage across terminals (Off Charge) 14V (rough RS Bat checker designed during WWII) Started motor first push. Erratic movement of Ampmeter heavy fluctuations between +15 & -15? Then settled down @ null (0) well just above null. Revving motor needle gives fluctuation! Do have NEW 750a/hr battery so fitted that 13V Motor still starts with 1st push of starter!!! Dark now but next i'll get meter across the battery terminals to check voltage levels. Also plan to look at dynamo, brushes, & the charging Cct. terminals & definitely get the Workshop manual out tonight.

Thanks to all for pointers.

Reply to
Vianalky

Sounds like a problem with the charging circuit, best be having a look at the dynamno and regulator and doing some checks.

Oh, one other thing to check, which side of the battery are the terminals? If you have a battery with the terminals the other way round, then to fit it means having the posts on the side against the wing, rather than on the side closer to the engine. If they are on the wing side of the carrier, then the bonnet prop can short out an un-protected +ve terminal. I have found......

Just a thought....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex composed the following;: If they are on the

'can short out' is about as descriptive of the KA friggin' BOOM type of explosion I got in our S3 due to this as saying Michael Jackson had a face lift ... It just doesn't convey the potential ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx