Defender model year

How can I tell If my defender is a 2002 or a 2003 model, I took delivery December 2002, but the 2003 MY defenders were out then, when the XS spec was released I think.

I was considering getting a Smartbox from vanaaken and it says the 2002 has

122bhp and the 2003 has 137bhp. I seems like the power increce on the 2002 gets better value for money.
Regards JJ

Defender 90 TD5 CSW

Reply to
JJ

Put your VIN number through one of the on-line VIN decoders et voila!

Don't forget, model year is not the same as calendar year, and that not all model years are 1 year long!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

They're wrong, there was no power increase between 2002 and 2003MY's. I have a 2003MY XS and it has 122bhp/90 KW which is verified by the certificate of conformity I got with it and the current LR brochure.

Sounds to me more like the Defender versus Discovery power difference?

It's the 10th digit of the VIN that you need to check, if it's a 3 then it's

2003MY, if it's a 2 then it's a 2002MY. Mine is definitely a 2003MY.

HTH

Cam

Reply to
Cam

Just count how many bits have fallen off so far, 2002 will have more bits on the road. -:)) .

Reply to
Hirsty's