Clutch in 2002 TD5 Defender

Hi All

I have a 2002 TD5 defender that has travelled 122,000 km. I am planning a bush trip of approximately 18,000 km around Australia. Have had raditore & intercooler flushed, radiator hoses, brakes, disks, etc renewed, will be carrying a box a spares that are easily replaced and am now considering the clutch. Its not slipping but do not fancy trying to change it by the side of the road. I know that a lot depends on driving style but is 122,000 kms old for a clutch? Can it be inspected without removing the gearbox? What would you advise change it or risk it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

Reply to
Robert White

In article , Robert White writes

Mileage doesn't necessarily tell you about clutch wear. If it was long distance mileage it might be fine, but if it was town driving, it might go at any time, 75k miles is about right :( .

If I was planning a long-ish trip as you describe, I'd probably do it now, for peace of mind.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Simple enough question. Will lives depend on it and can you do something to eliminate the risk?

Sooner or later it will need doing regardless, I'd guess you are closer to "sooner" than "later".

I would.

:-)

Of course once it's done it may be some tiny insignificant commonly available part that lets you down but thats half of the adventure!

Reply to
Lee_D

Yeah like a fecking bolt! I'm off to Wales for 3 days of off-roading in the pinz, heard a hissing sound and investigated to find a nail in a tyre. Took tyre off to find the bolt securing the shock absorber and axle check strap has sheared, a 16mm high tensile steel bolt, snapped like a twig. Must have been when I took a bump so hard I hit my head on the roof ;-)

Mind you when I was out looking for the replacement I bumped into a top bloke on a farm who has a clutch of Tatras in his care, and does heaps of work on them.. Mind you that ate 3 hours of the day nattering and playing with the Tatra 813! (pics on my flickr page)

Never did get the bolt though! Tight thread and long length makes it hard to find, there's one in the post now though I think.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If it uses the same principle as the Disco TD5, it's not so much the clutch plate that fails, it's the friggin two-piece flywheel that falls apart. That's definitely not a job for the side of the road. Then again, Defenders may have been built more sensible. Steve W (in Aus)

Reply to
Steve/Aus

Thanks to all that responded.

Over the weekend I pulled off the gear box. Clutch was fine but need a new fly wheel :-)

Will renew all to be safe.

Glad I did this at home not by touch light beside the road.

Thanks All Robert

Reply to
Robert White