Defender service

What should I be paying for my first 12000 mile/12 month service and what do they have to do?

Regards JJ

Reply to
JJ

Hi...

I used Dunsfold

if you email them via theirwebsite they will send costs/work breakdown list of their differentservices

FYI - a 24,000 mile cost me just under £400 and that was with new rear brake shoes.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Green

Are you sure about the rear brake shoes? As far as I know the Defender (since it was named Defender rather than 90 or 110 etc around 1994) has always had brake pads at the rear. These are cheaper than the shoes used on earlier drum brake models at around £7.50 a set and only 5mins a side to fit, shouldn't have made a huge difference to the service cost.

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Older Defenders still have brake shoes at the rear (mine, 1992, does).

Pieter

Reply to
pieter

I tend to get confused between brake shoes and brake pads when I'm talking. Replacement made a big difference to the Lightweight but, even allowing for the differences between discs and drums, I reckon 5mins a side is a trifle optimistic.

Side thought: my driving style is light-footed on the brake. I try to anticipate more than most. And so I maybe don't notice the brakes not being as good as they should. But one set of shoes were worn enough the ajuster couldn't take up the slack. Opposite side to the leaking hub oil-seal, so it wasn't pulling to the side.

Reply to
David G. Bell