Defenders & Snowchains

According to my (1998) handbook "DO NOT use snowchains - they may damage the vehicle".

Official 2007 Defender accessories - snowchains available and can be fitted front and rear.

So what changed?

Reply to
hugh

Go to Switzerland and it's a legal requirement to carry them.

Chances are that all that changed was that Land Rover started selling studded tyres...

Reply to
William Black

The orig "Snow Chains. Chains may be fitted to provide increased traction during extremely adverse heavy snow conditions. Never fit chains to one wheel only, always fit snow chains in pairs to the rear axle only, and ensure the gearbox differential control is in the LOCKED position. Remove the snow chains immediately the road is clear of snow."

So it was OK in 1986.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In message , Bob Hobden writes

Interesting

Mine is a V8 with auto gearbox but I cannot see what difference that makes. The tyre sizes are included in the 2007 approved list also.

They now also suggest fitting them to the front axle first, but also add that you can also fit them to the rear. No mention of the diff being locked. Maybe you had a different kind of snow in '86

Reply to
hugh

"hugh" wrote

The diff being locked is highlighted in capitals in the "86" Handbook just as I wrote. Wonder why when it's not mentioned now?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In message , bromide writes

Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with

86 -fit snow chains (any snow chains) and lock diff By 96 (latest) reports of damage to brake components at the front so only fit approved LR chains which are not available for 265/75 98 - 50th Anniversary Limited edition V8 produced with tyre sizes - 265/75 Still no LR approved chains at this tyre size hence handbook of mine says DO NOT use snow chains 2007 Approved chains available in 265/75 which do not damage front brakes hence snow chains can now be recommended across all LR issued tyre sizes - and lock the diff or not as you see fit. It's called "marketing"
Reply to
hugh

Can you stop posting at the top ffs.

Reply to
Nige

Does anyone know what the army does?

Or the Royal Marines MWC who are the real experts?

Reply to
William Black

Fuck me, don't they have schools round your way?

They have these men & they give them guns, they call them soldiers...they send these hapless blokes into someone elses country for no real reason & whist some of them shoot at folk, quite a few get maimed & killed for the good of mankind (or oil)

Easy.

Reply to
Nige

"hugh" wrote

So the reason my 86 Handbook says snow chains on the rear only is because there weren't any then that fitted the front without a chance of brake damage, and with them only on the rear you would need the diff locked.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"William Black" wrote.............

Fits proper tyres

Don't need them on water. :-)

Reply to
Oily

Is it not a good idea to use chains on the hard packed snow that builds up on untreated roads? I have no experience of chains but these are the roads I find least traction on.

Reply to
bromide

I've just checked my 1996 handbook and, in essence, it makes the following points

Only fit approved LR chains to the front to avoid damage to brake components

Fit unapproved chains to rear wheels only

Engage Diff Lock

Not available for 265/75 tyres

Never exceed 30 MPH

These all seem pretty common sense I guess

Reply to
bromide

In message , Bob Hobden writes

I'm only surmising, but you could be right. It would make sense. As I'm not quoting from an 07 handbook but merely the accessories list it could be the advice is still to lock the diff - just as it is for any off-tarmac driving. So from that point of view it would apply whether the chains are on the front, rear or both.

Reply to
hugh

If you have chains on the rear only and don't lock the diff, a front wheel will spin and you're going nowhere.

The reverse argument applies if you have chains on the front only, of course.

Reply to
Dougal

You should be on the stage...

Any stage.

But preferably the stage coach out of town...

Reply to
William Black

hehehe - very good :)

Reply to
Nige

If it's deep enough, like a couple of inches, may be. But generally speaking we don't get enough snow in this country to warrant the use of chains on road. If you are driving across a field to go and feed and dig your sheep out that is another matter.

Tyres vary a lot. The things that came with the current DII are bloody useless in snow, infact they aren't very nice when it's cold (

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , hugh writes

Just occurred to me - your 86 will have drum brakes on the rear whereas mine has discs all round. Don't know when this configuration was first introduced. So if the issue is disc brakes have they redesigned the brakes to cope with chains or have they redesigned the chains to avoid damaging disc brakes? If the latter then retrospective use would presumably be OK

Reply to
hugh

"hugh" wrote

Yes that's correct, so it is probably the disc brakes that are the problem.

Reply to
Bob Hobden