Demisting in old vehicles!

If there's one thing I'm really s**te at, it's cleaning things!

I use a rubber squeegee thing but the inside of the pinz just seems to make dust appear, which coats the screen and ends up forming swirling patterns when I wipe the screen.

Yeah, I think that idea's out.

Perhaps I need to buy myself a labrador! Put it on one side of the glass, me on the other, job done!

They're never hot enough to make any difference, although given that the pinz is 24 volts it might be hot enough, for a short period ;-)

I think I'll try the washing up liquid idea, coupled with leaving the windows open until I can get appreciable heat from the heater, I'll see how all that lot works together.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thing is, as soon as I clear the screen off, 30 seconds later it's gone again. Given that the pinz is left-hand drive, if I can't see the right hand mirror through the windscreen I can't see what's to my right at all which is a real PITA when pulling out onto roads.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

can you not fold the screen down on the Pinz? :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, and remove the door tops, but to be honest it's not the solution I'm after!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

A gloved hand on the inside of the windscreen or at least the side of the split screen I can reach. Not so much demisting in the mornings as desaturation.

Reply to
Larry

My dad used to wipe a fresh half potato (raw) across and that stopped it ( mind you it was in the 40's)

Reply to
Hirsty's

Skins or no skins?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

coward :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think I need a gloved hand on a stick, the right-hand rear view mirror is only visible if the extreme right-hand edge of the windscreen is mist free, blasted thing.

Perhaps it's similar for truck-cab owners, I've got the rear cab canvas fitted at the moment to separate the cab from the rest of the load area to give the heater less work to do, but of course the moisture from the drip in the driver's seat gets dispersed less too.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Redirect a demister pipe to the far door window and fit the mirror heating element from a Range Rover behind the mirror glass. The mirrors on my R/R get almost hot to the back of the hand. Worth a try.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I'll probably figure out a way to redirect some warm air to the windscreen directly in front of the mirror, slightly easier said than done, heated mirrors aren't a problem though as the glass on the mirrors doesn't seem to mist up. Because of the shape of the vehicle, the right-hand mirror (driver is on left) is in front of the truck and you look at it through the front windscreen, rather than a side window.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The cut flat juicy part ! Honestly not a wind up :-)) Only problem is when dry it leaves a slight white coat of starch, but in desparation it works for a while

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hehe, cheers, not sure I'm desperate enough to wipe my window with spuds! I suppose I could make some kind of vegetable-based squeegee..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Try it.

Got a mate and his girlfriend back from spain in torrential downpours when the wiper motor on his very dodgy morris minor van packed up.

About 1000 miles relying on cut spuds, and 2 pieces of string to pull wipers back and fro.

Van made it home safley, unlike girlfriend, last seen heading for Toulouse train station.

David

Reply to
rads

Don't worry, I haven't totally dismissed the idea, although the windows turning white when it's dry is a little off-putting..

So in my cab I need some washing up liquid, some leather, a hairdryer, some string and a couple of spuds. It's beginning to sound like some kind of bizarre survival challenge ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

You forgot the virgin goat.

David

Reply to
rads

Ive had a brainwave! On of the the other posts said about a hairdrier used with an inverter. What if a tube was fixed to the top of the dash with hairdrier in one end and the other end sealed and some little holes along its length directing on the screen. Then plug hairdrier into a timer and timer plugged into inverter so it comes on say 10 mins before you need car? Would this work or (1) silly idea or (2) flat battery ? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Unfortunately I am mechanically challenged, however it sounds to me like the makings of a great blow wave hair do!! LOL Seriously I just hit the full power and demist, sit there for five mins and go. I did used to have a car which did mist heavily, I put a box of those crystals which soak up condensation into the car overnight and it helped greatly. Still some demisting required but a damn sight easier.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I come across this often , during public order training one of the first things that happens is our visors steam up. This is prevented by regular application of fairy liquid to the inside. One application will do a three day trainning session and the Visor will remain clear.

On my IIa I used Mer polish on the inside of the window to similar effect. Neither cost and Arm and a leg and both are usually readilly available on the Garage shelf.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Oh f*ck that's me voted out...