disco 1 power loss

I notice that my discovery loses power momentarily sometimes. Seems to be only on the highway. Did it when cold or after a long ride. I hope its not anything bad, the filters and plugs were replaced recently.There is104,000 miles on it. Any suggestions for fixes. Thanks,Pete

Reply to
PeterG.

Diesel/Petrol/LPG??

Reply to
fanie

On or around Thu, 13 May 2004 03:02:07 GMT, "PeterG." enlightened us thusly:

what age vehicle, which engine, which fuelling system...?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have you checked the fuel sedimenter - I take it that it is Diesel? Another possibility is the tank fuel filter is collapsing. Happens more often when it is colder.

Andrew Renshaw

As you're using a North American ISP and mention plugs, I'm guessing that the Disco has a petrol V8 engine?

If it only loses momentarily at highway speeds it could be fuelling problem - are the fuel filters and pump all in good condition?

Reply to
Exit

Hi, I have a 96 4 liter gas engine disco that I bought recently. last service was 90k miles. I replaced the gas cap and it doesn't have a vent. Peter

Reply to
PeterG.

Very hard to say, but first thing to check out is the ignition system. It could be a loose connection anywhere in that, it could be a failing ignition lead, it could be a failing ignition amp (that would be my favourite place to start, having replaced 3 in the last 6000 miles!), or it could be a fuelling issue.

If it was fuelling I'd expect the power loss to last a couple of seconds, if it's a misfire then probably less than that. What do you mean by 'momentary'?

A decent dealer should be able to check the engine for fault codes, for free or for a nominal fee. Misfire _may_ show up there.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Having read your posts again, I'd have to say that you are long overdue for a service... Change the oil at least every 6000 miles (I do mine every 3-4K). I sometimes don't change the filter and leave it for 6-8K, but that's because I'm lazy and I shouldn't really.

If the plugs are new, it is not impossible that you have a dud. I had one fail on a previous car within a week or so, resulting in a major flat spot and progressively worsening misfire.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I looked at the fuel filter it looks kinda old. If I raise the idle in park it runs choppy a bit ?. I may need a trip to the service dept. thanks

Reply to
PeterG.