Disco 2 rear door latch

Morning all Rear door latch (lock seems OK) is stuck closed. Any suggestions as to how to get open without removing rear door panel etc. Otherwise it's squeeze in through the side door !.

Trevor H

Reply to
Trevor Hickmott

Small screwdriver, pry loose the LR badge on the handle, release mechanism by whatever means available, spray in WD40 to prevent recurrence. Repeat annually.

In my case, the catch you pull with your fingers had got jammed in the open position due to corrosian and general crud. There was no movement in the catch and therefore no opening of the door. 5 minute fix.

Reply to
Rich B

Had the exact same on my DII as well, same fix. Other problem is the internal (should that be infernal, I wonder!) spring in the lock - if that's gone then get into the back, physically hold the lock/unlock button in the unlock position by hand and try opening with the internal handle. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Many thanks for that, I'll give it a try. I don't think it's the spring as it happened a few weeks ago and cleared itself

Thanks again

Reply to
Trevor Hickmott

Funny that I have just put down my comic (Land Rover Enthusiast March 08) and guess what the featured workshop article on the D2 is..........................

Derek

Snap. Happens within a week or three of the first bit of wet winter after the salt has be out. I just squirt a bit of Plus Gas or WD40 at the ends and waggle. I might have managed to get a bit of engine oil onto last time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If it's a reoccuring problem then surely it would be better to use something like graphite grease? WD40 will dry it up one the initiall freeing up has taken place. I'm not sure exactly how much muck the area is likely to attract but if none then I'd consider a good old fashioned dollop of grease or petroleum jelly.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Answer to the first part "a lot". Have you looked at the back end of a Disco after it's done a mile or three along country roads? My spare wheel cover has a white/cream dealer ad on black, it has been known for the ad to be totally illegible due to the muck.

A dollop of grease would get full of mud very quickly, hence my use of engine oil or it might have been 3 in 1 after freeing off with Plus Gas.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
1) Small Screw Diver & Pop Out LD Badge Door 2) Spray wd40 Into Handle Workings 3) Go to Lollypop Shop Get Lollypop Stick 4) Cover Lollypop Stick With Copper Slip 5) Smear Inside Handle Workings 6) Climb In Back of Disco & Open Rear Door 7) Shut Door Put LR Cover Back 8) Open & Shut Door Several Times 9) Fixed unless Other Probs

Regards

Reply to
Skinty