Disco 2 Rear Recovery Point

I have just removed the drop plate and arms from the towbar on my Disco TD5 (to improve departure angle) and am now wondering if the 'T' shaped piece remaining (bolted to the chassis) is strong enough on it's own to use as a recovery point. If so what should I fit? The two holes accept a standard towball but it would be too high and foul the bumper so I was thinking along the lines of a spacer plus a hitch with pin?

Any ideas? (Don't want to use jate rings as I want to be able to attach a tow rope for light recovery etc easily)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

To what would you be attaching a tow rope? The Jate rings would only replace tie down eyes and attaching a rope to either has the same degree of difficulty.

Have I missed something?

Reply to
Dougal

I was going to use a NATO style hitch which would be easy to access, the jate rings fasten to the chassis but well under the car which would mean crawling under at the back, not great in muddy, wet conditions.

Reply to
Andy

I see what you're getting at - I'd read it slightly differently.

NATO hook for 'light' recovery!

Just be a little careful how you mount it. Whilst you might set out with the intention of only doing light work, the encouragement of others and/or circumstances may result in you pushing the attachment (bracketry/bolts etc.) beyond its limits and result in a very heavy lump of metal flying around. If you're not already aware of the hazards please do some reading.

It's always unwise to have mountings less capable than the object which is attached to them.

If by 'spacer' you mean a drop plate to lower the ball, have second thoughts. It's not good practice for recovery unless stayed.

Reply to
Dougal