Somewhere to attach a recovery point on a 95 RR 4.6HSE

Hi, Am hoping to go green laneing next weekend and am trying to make sure my RR has a recovery point I can use. Unfortunatly it doesn't have a tow bar so I need a point on the chassis to attach a jate ring to. (This was what i was told by a Landrover parts centre). I've got the rope but am hoping not to have to buy a tow bar for it.

Thanks for any advice.

Jas

Reply to
Jason Dean

Twas 10 May 2004 01:08:40 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@jsun.co.uk (Jason Dean) put finger to keyboard producing:

I think the holes for the jate rings are already there, maybe with a lashing ring bolted to it (flat metal plate with a hole in), take this off and bolt your jate ring there. You should use 2 jate rings by the way, one on each main chassis rail and use them as a pair. while you are at it you might want to put a pair on the front as well.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thanks for this, If this is the case, does anyone know of a place that sells them in or near Hemel Hempstead?

Cheers,

Jas

Reply to
Jason Dean

Twas 10 May 2004 06:45:16 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@jsun.co.uk (Jason Dean) put finger to keyboard producing:

paddocks have them

£24 a pair, search for "jate".

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I've got a pair going begging in Aylesbury - £15 each to you sir!

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Urmm. £20 the pair!

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

After a further look under the back of the car, I can see 2 loops either side of the chassis, (These look like they are not very strong and are used to tie down the car) But there is a hoop at the front and the back which look like they are used for towing the P38 connected to the chassis (For the local AA man to attach to), should these be ok for recovery points? (Any P38 owners out there done any off roading and can let me know?)

Cheers,

Jas

Reply to
Jason Dean

Jason Dean wrote: Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

If they're the same as the ones on most other LRs of a similar age then they're not particularly strong - they'll take the weight of the car, but will most likely rip off if you try to recover from being bogged down.

The mouting points for JATE rings at the back of most LRs I've looked at (Disco 1, Disco 2, RRC) are also the bracing points for the towbar - look for a couple of substantial tubes welded to the chassis around 18" from the rear of the car.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Thanks for the help.

Having looked there are no such tubes. Looks like i'm going to find a friendly welder to get them put on. (Everyone I've been speaking to say there is no demand for recovery points on a P38 as they arent taken off road ;-) )

Cheers again,

Jas

Reply to
Jason Dean

I must admit that they do tend to appear more suited to the Urban school run, however I understand they also cope perfectly with the LR test track.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Wrong - it's because they can usually get out unassisted! ;-)

IMHO, and all that.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Unassisted? You seem to have forgotten the Unimog fuel tanker that has to follow them offroad.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I never offroaded mine. I think it would have coped admirably, but had I dinged anything it would have been mightily expensive to fix.

Reply to
David French

That's not assistance, that's maintenance.

;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Minor bodywork dings just add character to our classic, major ones just give us an excuse to upgrade the damaged part :)

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Which reminds me, I have to ask Tesco to invest in an off road fuel tanker as well as it will be in their advantage ;-).

Jas

Reply to
Jason Dean

You missed out on a treat- they're fabulous. Although the wife got a bit nervous when the muddy water got halfway up the doors... (So did I just quietly, the 'puddle' was supposed to be only 2" deep- all the others were, we got out & checked 'til after a few hours we got fed up... but Rangie didn't let us down)

Reply to
Hans Niesen-Bumpsadesi

My '98 Vogue50 goes off road/green laning at least once a month as has every other RR I've owned. I have yet to get stuck in something that demanded more than a very gentle pull on the towing eyes. (Look here for a couple of off road pics to show what I regularly drive through

) Depending on how brave you are when you are just starting out then you should be able to experience green laning without getting all kitted up. However, if someone says they are going to rescue you with a kinetic rope or with a 'snatch' then do not let them unless you fit recovery points (or a towbar - but even that is not necessarily the best solution). Do not use the welded lashing eyes for recovery.

Nick

Reply to
entrepeneur