Disco 3

Anyone got a diesel disco 3 TDV6 ? what's the real day to day MPG

Company car ordering time this month, it's a toss up between the disco 3 TDV6 5 seater base model with no extras apart from metallic paint ( none of the toys or air suspension/adaptive terrain,)

or a Volvo V70 D5 SE ( with everything but the kitchen sink!!)

MPG is a factor as I pay for fuel and the Company pays me back, so the more to the gallon the less the car costs me :-)

Reply to
StaffBull

There can be only one.

If you don't need 4x4 and you are going to do motorway cruises then the Volvo is the only way to go. Have you tried the Volvo yet - the seats are to die for....

What are the car tax figures for each?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

"StaffBull" wrote

From that I assume your Car Pool Manager is wedded to Fords. There are so many better/more interesting vehicles out there for around £27K.

Audi A4 3.0 Tdi Quattro Audi A6 2.7 Tdi SE BMW 320d SE (with every extra) (new model out this month) Jaguar X Type 2.0d Mercedes C270 CDi Class

And every one will hold it's value better than the couple you mention.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Resale value is irrelevant, and on my price list only the X-Type is cheaper to lease than the Volvo. The A6 is more than £100 more each month which might explain why it is off the list. I don't have a price for the base Disco, but if its similar to the old one then it will be a bit higher than the Volvo.

For economy I'd imagine the 320 would be the best bet.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Shouldn't be for the Car Pool Manager might be for the user. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Reply to
StaffBull

Resale is irrelevant, it's on a PCP leased to me the company pays me "more" per month to cover the vehicle and tax and I claim the fuel back for business miles. better by far then the tax way!! so when it's change time I give the car back to the PCP company or buy it. I wont be buying the Laguna I've got now.

The 320 is too small A4 is an Audi which is a jumped up Volkswagen The jag drove very nice and the SE was well loaded but it was too slow, if they put the new ford tdi 150 BHP lump in it I'd have one And after the hassle my sister has had with her Merc and the dealer I would rather have a Skoda!!!

so I think I'll go for the V70, well screwed together, the D5 pulls like a train and it's comfortable as hell

Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

Buy the right car & you'll have money to use as your next deposit mate too.

Still a very nice drive.

Sorry mate, you are VERY wrong here, I used to have a 1.9Tdi A4 Avant & it was a terrific car. 50mpg & superb comfort & build quality (possibly the bast around) My wife has a A4 convertible, consistantly the best built rag top i have come across. Also the afest.

It's a Mondeo & it shows in a big way. My next door neighbour & mate is the general manager at the Leeds Jaguar dealerso comes home in every top model going. We get to go out in them & without fail, they are all Fords - 70k for a Jag that has mondeo bits & bats - no way!

So, you wont want an Audi but a Skodas good!!!

Good car, very good car, having said that it is VERY boring (altough stylish in my eyes) Get yourself a car that makes you smile, not makes you feel sensible.

Don't forget this is actually YOUR car.

Get yourself a Subaru STi & you even give a toss about the insurance!

Best alround car i have had was the Audi Avant, fast (enough) very well made, but buy the sport model not the SE! It is not a jumped up VW as you state & is NOT based on any Passat platform as many claim!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

I've a 330dSe, seems to me to have about the same interior space as the Mondeo.

< snip bit about Audi's, no experiences of them >

I used to run Jags years ago, the new ones just don't have the same presence from a driving point of view, all too sanitised now, I feel. And the new ones don't seem as well screwed together as a modern BMW either.

OUCH!

In my opinion, the BMW 330d is a fantastic car, 0-62 in under 8 seconds (not terrific by modern standards, but more than adequate unless you are an F1 driver!!), 45mpg on a long cruise, 37mpg to and from work, handles fantastically with no mods, comfortable, a pretty decent boot size, amazing responsiveness and feel, and excellent residuals. Just my tuppenceworth. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:15:37 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

don't knock 'em for that - the Audis have for years, been bloody sound motors. I had a V reg (old V, 1979) 80 for a few years, and it was a damned good car. not a strong as an H reg merc, mind, which it met on a snowy road :-(

The V6 TDi is a nice lump, by all accounts, too.

I assume they won't go for a V6 petrol Jag? I quite fancy the X-type estate in 3.0 4x4 form. quite a lot like my 4x4 sierra estate, only more modern.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I hope that your Sierra had more room - both front and rear - I can bearly sit up in the front and as for the back - forget it. Also astoundingly limited legroom. It really is amazingly small.

IIRC (from my neighbour who has one) the only reason it's a 4wd is that they could not bear the thought of an FWD Jag, having as it does Mondeo engine and transmission, so added a propshaft to drive the rear wheels.

Despite the above it goes like S off a S and is more stable ('cos of the

4wd) than my SAAB 95 - which, on the other hand, has acres more space.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

No I stand by my Audi claims - driven the A4 avant sport saloon sport and the rag top - all company owned and the resemblance to the passat 130 tdi sport was incredible although the Audis seemed better at roadholding

I have looked at the Sti Scooby - but I've been told the Mpg is crap, around

23mpg especially the way I drive coming home through the Llanberis pass along the A5

Reply to
StaffBull

Yo man, bit of snippining would be cool!

The Sti & WRX are demons withouuth caveats as far as I can see.

Give one a try. MPG is second with cars mate, as you well know with a LR!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

My old man has an Outback 3.0. Very nice indeed, and almost as comfy as my Volvo. A good deal faster though, but a lot thirstier.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I run a Passat TDi and it has had its fair share of troubles. Drinks oil like nothing on earth and has a few other niggles - dodgy alternator, intermittently noisy brakes, damned uncomfortable on a long drive.

We also run an A3 with the same engine. It's virtually identical to drive, and feels like the jumped up VW it is. Strangely it's been much less trouble and currently has nearly 90K on the clock with nothing but routine servicing.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

If you're still interested in the Discovery 3, there's a few guys on my Disco 3 forum who will definitely help.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Reply to
StaffBull

Have you got the D3 ? - do the claims of nearly 30mpg stand up ?

Reply to
StaffBull

No I don't have a Disco 3 (if only..), just have set up a web site in its honour!

I think the guys on the site are getting anywhere from 19 to 28 mpg, but that's under various conditions.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis