Another morning of car shopping

Went to have another look at the 120d and also at the 520d, V50 and Jag X-Type 2.0D today.

The 120d is growing on me. ES spec. with 'Dynamic' pack is quite nice and only needs cruise adding to put it at the spec. I'd want. quite tempting.

520d. Have to pay extra for this, and I'm not sure it's worth it. Great image, but ultimately, far too big for me. Don't like the dash, either.

(What annoys me is that, even if I pay extra, I can't get a 320d SE Auto..... the only 3-series on either list are the 318d SE and 325d SE, both of which are manual only)

V50. I know I like this one, but Katie wasn't too sure, until I spotted an S40 with the R-Design kit to give her an idea how much better the R-Design cars look than the standard ones. Still a very strong temptation that one.

Biggest surprise of the day was the X-Type. If I can get over the 'MkIII Mondeo' link, it would be a great car to have. Jaguar appear to have thrown the entire options book at the base spec. cars (half leather seats, power seats, dual zone climate, premium audio pack etc), making them very attractive for the company car driver. Shame they don't offer a slushomatic on the 2.0D - you have to get a 2.2D for that, which pretty much rules it out. I'd happily pay extra for a 2.2D Auto, but the only X-Type on my list is 2 bands up and is the X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Estate - with a manual box, ffs!

Ultimately, I still haven't narrowed things down to my 3 nominated 'extended' test drives. I feel I may have to ask for quotes on cars that aren't technically on my list before making a decision.

One that I spotted from the band above me that would tempt me, though, is the V50 D5 SE Sport R-Design Auto.....

Argh!

Reply to
SteveH

How did you find the seats on the 1 series? The C30 I was looking at was the SE Sport R-Design - Impressive kit levels...

Reply to
DanB

I am laughing loudly. Very loudly indeed.

Jag X-Type - after all the nasty things you said about them?

You might as well just spec yourself up a MK3 Fester right now and be done with it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The 1-series in the showroom was a 116i ES Dynamic. Seats were very good

- they have adjustable side-bolsters.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh.

Seriously impressive levels of kit. But no auto box, which is pointless.

I'm not a big fan of the X-Type at all, but kit levels are hugely impressive.

Reply to
SteveH

The standard seats in the 54-plate 120 I drove were terrible.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Come on Steve. Built by Brummies.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

i'd go for the 5 series, i love the new 5 series shame you can't get a 530d though! second choice would be the 1 series too followed by the jag then the volvo last as i aint a fan of the V50 really much prefere the V70

Reply to
Vamp

Yeah, standard seats are s**te - but Dynamics get the M-Sport seats or you can order a 'comfort pack' with largely the same seat.

Nowhere near as good as the V50 seats, though - and just doing a few quick quotes, a V50 D5 SE Sport R-Design Geartronic is only a tenner a month more than a base spec A4 (per month) to lease.

Looking as though things are in favour of a Volvo.

There's also the S60 D5 SE Geartronic to consider, but that would be quite expensive as an upgrade, and they're far too big for me.

Reply to
SteveH

Scousers innit?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No, it's *much* worse than that - built by Scousers.....

Reply to
SteveH

I like the idea of a 5-Series, I like the kit you get and I love the prestige of it.

But I hate the interior. I just couldn't live with one.

Plus, the Passat is a squeeze at some sites, so I daren't think how hard it could be to park a 5.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh for the days of plain L, GL and GLS...

Reply to
Clive George

I shall be looking at M-Sport spec. Conveniently there is a BMW dealer across the road from the Volvo dealer. Handy :-)

Reply to
DanB

That V50 appeals purely on the length of the model name.....

But they do look good with the R-Design kit and big alloys.

Reply to
SteveH

Blimey. I thought they were all Browns Lane or Castle Bromwich.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Built in the old Escort factory in Halewood, along with the Freeloader.

Reply to
SteveH

But the 2.0D has 11bhp and 114 torques more, so it's significantly quicker.

The 118i runs it close, and is fractionally quicker to 60, but I reckon the C30 2.0D would piss all over it in daily use.

Reply to
SteveH

The 2.0D 136 R-D is a great bit of kit and pretty good in all areas. The D5 with geartronic, although not ultimately as good as a BMW derv is pretty rocking.

The BMW with a decent level of kit is just silly expensive. (Though i do like the 1 series coupe)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The biggest surprise is you looking at it. But the only ones really worth looking at are the estates, and you need to look at the 2.5/3.0 so that you get AWD, not the Mondeo poverty spec.

Reply to
Steve Firth