Disco 98 V8 Mixture

Hi all,

By the spark plug's appearance, my 98 dicso Petrol V8 is running rich. Can I adjust the mixture or take other steps to sort it out?

Thanks Pauly

Reply to
Ask

In message , Ask writes

How long had the engine been running for when you checked the plugs?

Try checking them after a decent run.

If it is running rich it will be because of a fault rather then just being out of adjustment.

A '98 disco runs a closed loop system and as such will be checking the mixture for you many times a second so there needs to be a fault with one or more components for it to run rich.

The only way to tell if it is running rich is to put it in a gas analyser and see what is coming out of the exhaust . Is it due for an MOT soon? easy way to check.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks Marc,

That's probably it... but here in ausralia, the choice between running a bit rich and a possible fix is lot'n'lots of $$$$$$$$

I was hoping it was adjustable... but such is life.. Perhaps I'll have some disposable income one day ;-)

Regards Pauly

Reply to
Ask

On or around Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:33:26 +1000, "Ask" enlightened us thusly:

bit more info...?

if it's a carb one, then I'd suspect carb faults or a blocked air filter.

if it's a simple hotwire with no lambda conrtol, yes, it can be adjusted - the AFM has a hole to put an allen key into.

if it's a lambda-controlled one then there's a fault in the system somewhere, anything from a dodgy lambda sensor to a buggered engine ECU.

Reply to
Austin Shackles