Disco cassis noise question

In the last few days i have developed a strange noise form the chassis. At first I thought it was just an annoying vinyl-on-vinyl interior noise but I was able to verify this is coming from the rear underside of the truck.

When I start rolling from a dead stop or when I slow to a dead stop I can hear what can only be described as a low groan. It sounds almost like metal stretching (if that is possible). To verify I was able to put the truck in drive w/ the door open (in a parking lot) and I can verify that the sound is coming from outside underneath and not from the interior. I can also get it to make the noise if I rock the steering back and forth while moving down the road. However i can not get it to make the noise if the truck is parked and I rock the body on the shocks and springs. Only happens when in fwd or rev motion. Just started a few days ago and my be related to a temp drop and some recent rain.

Sometimes it is quiet and sometimes it is downright unsettling. As far as i can tell the sound is equal on both sides at or behind the rear axle. I am suspecting a bushing or maybe some chassis-to-body mounting point is going out. Any Ideas?

btw, this is a 1997 Disco w/ a 3" OME lift. Long travel shocks and RTE cones.

Reply to
Bill

On or around Sat, 05 Jun 2004 22:19:19 -0500, Bill enlightened us thusly:

check all the bushes and also Propshaft UJs...

BTW, while hammering like a demented hammer-man on a stuck bolt in the back end of the disco chassis (the one that holds the rear step and the towbar brace) I discovered that the disco chassis rings beautifully. I don't think it was me ears...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check it isn't your brakes - if the discs and pads are worn they can sometimes grab and make a groaning noise at very low speeds such as you describe. Sounds terrible, but it's annoying rather than dangerous, and the cure seems to be new discs and pads - easy job, about 100GBP an axle.

Just done it on the RR front axle, which also cured an annoying whistley-squeak which came and went and the local LR dealer couldn't solve.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I was wondering about the UJs. Since the lift I have picked up some vibrations and will be replacing the front shaft shortly. I did lube up the UJs recently but I think I will give them another shot to be sure.

What am I looking for in the bushes?

also BTW, it funny you mention the rear step cause I just removed mine also. Thought i would never get the damn bolt out. LOL!

Aust> On or around Sat, 05 Jun 2004 22:19:19 -0500, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well it's not the UJs. I lubed them up again real well and it did not change. The bushings look good to me, but that's my uneducated view. I'll have the truck in for some other work later this week and I'll have a pro check it out.