Disco II Toe

"Toe out - Front: -0 deg 10 min +/-0 deg 10 min (total)"

Now as that is quoted as a negative Toe Out (ie front of wheel splayed out) is that the same as positive Toe In (front of wheel in) of 0 deg 10 min?

I ask as I'm getting wear on the extreme outer edges of both front tyres (center and inner edge are fine). The web suggests this wear pattern is indicative of too much toe in. This wear started from the last service when a nearside track rod end was replaced, the garage bill says they did carry out an alignment... Fuel consumption is up a bit as well by approx 1mpg.

Car is due MOT so want to get garage to check the alignment at the same time and would like the figure it is supposed to be. Also getting to the time of year that the soft winter tyres will need to go on and as they are virtually new I don't want to wear off the outer edges.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Set it parallel or fraction of toe out - a negative toe angle is toe out, a positive one is toe in.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks. the specified 0 deg 10 min I'd call a "fraction".

That makes sense but the page from RAVE I have has the front quoted with a -ve toe *OUT* and the rear as a +ve toe *IN* angle. Hence the confusion. Maybe it confused the technician at the stealers as well and it's set to 0 deg 10 min toe in rather than 0 deg 10 min toe out.

Now booked in for MOT and tracking check tomorrow AM at the local garage. With only 0 deg 20 min of adjustment required I bet it's not much more than a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn on each steering link.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds about right. Toe out at the front gives a slightly quicker turn-in, toe-in at the rear gives slightly grip when power on out of a corner. (From my old racing days!) However, on a Disco what it actually does is stop wear at the tyres, and does very little for your 'feel' unless you get to larger, like whole degrees, of movement.

Yup. As I said it's unlikely you'll feel anything through the steering, but the tyres will .. ;)

Other things to check while they're there are all the bushes, especially on the trailing arm and A-Frame (Do D2's have an A-frame?).

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around 10 Nov 2010 10:48:39 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

I've always in practice found that discos and classic rangies go nicely set parallel. Not had occasion to adjust the disco II mind, it seems OK as-is. The other thing that can affect this is tyre pressure, ealry discos and classic rangies had a reputation for edging front tyres but that's more about the fact that the recommended pressure is too low (I believe 28 psi is in some books)

Personally, I tend to run the disco II (on 235/70R16) at about 33-34 psi, and that gives reasonable tyre wear.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, the books and manuals say 28 for the fronts and that is too low. But it gives the classic under inflated wear pattern of both edges of the affected tyre. My wear is outer edge only of both front tyres, classic too much toe in.

I run my DII fronts at 30psi but 255/55R18. Wear is nice and even across the full tread width (when the tracking isn't borked...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Since it had the track rod end done and the tracking (badly) reset it has been a bit "vague" in the steering. Tendancy to occasionally pull lightly to one side or the other, not an always a "to the left" type pull but either side randomly.

'twill be interesting to see what they find and how it handles afterwards.

Well as it's going for an MOT I would hope they give all the suspension a good going over for worn bushes etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:07:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

that would be about right for the lower profile tyres.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

5/16" toe in says the man. Reset to slight toe out but now the steering wheel is well down on the left, it does run true runs true and feels better, less "vague".

It appears that the stealers when replacing the track rod end didn't do the process properly in regards the position of the new end on the adjuster. I can't quite get my head around how the system works. Unlike other cars where you adjust each steering link sperately the DII offside is fixed and there is a single adjuster in the nearside. Seems that that the inner end of the adjuster had not been recently moved (one would have expected it to have been when the end was replaced) as it was stiff to move compared to the other end with the new track rod end... Fecking stealers...

It's going back in tommorow to be reset from the ground up if they have the time. Seems it's a bit of an iterative process that involves releasing the bush end of the track rod end each time to move that up/down the adjuster.

How ever it passed it's MOT and it's in pretty good condition underneath. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nice one Dave. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Is it really possible to set toe out to an accuracy of 10 minutes?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I think the technical term is 'a gnats c*ck'. HTH .. ;)

On paper it is .. but ITRW it isn't.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It is around 1mm which is certainly settable, but so small as to be inconsequential except in terms of making sure that the parallel setting is NOT fractionally toeing in (not a good thing on a driven steerable axle).

Reply to
EMB