V8 and Auto Box into a Defender

I have been minus a Landrover for some time now, following a rather expensive TD5 issue which necessitated a hasty retreat into ford country. Having served my time in the wolderness, and being forever cured of oil burners and their massive repair bills, I am tinkering with the notion of a buying a TD5/i defender, and then picking up a V8 engine/Auto box combo from a disco and trying to put the two together.

Is this daft? Are there any combo's of V8/defender that would work best - baring the obvious of a old 3.5. I would look to fix this up and use it as my primary conveyance, so would look for a defender that is probably less than 10 years old.

Is it as easy as connecting the auto box to the T-case, or does one use the whole Tcase and g-Box from the donor and then play around with propshafts.

Any input gratefully received.

Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

Anything is possible. I would have thought that using the whole engine, gearbox and transfer box would be the simplest approach. Propshafts are easily modified, particularly if you start with one that is too long. Buying a whole Discovery and selling off/weighing in the bits you don't need would probably be best as you then have all the wiring that goes with the engine/gearbox.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Why? Why not just get a DII V8 and be done with it?

Reply to
GbH

AIUI the gear lever on a Disco gearbox is in the wrong place to fit a Defender.

Reply to
EMB

Auto.. do you mean transfer box lever?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Transfer box lever in a Disco operates the box via cables and is mounted on the tunnel. From your "Auto.. " comment presumably the auto lever operates the box via cable and is also mounted on the tunnel?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Fanie writes

Well I'm about to put my 50th Anniversary Defender on the market which just happens to be a V8 (4.0 litre) with an auto gearbox and with the added bonus of a gas conversion.

My reply to address is valid if you're interested.

Reply to
hugh

Down in South Africa, so that will be a challenge. Cheers anyway.

Reply to
Fanie
.

Agreed, this would be the sensible route, but since this is a midlife crisis, I think a defender is a better option. I swore after fitting a Nissan LD28 to my old SerIIIS that I would never do another conversion, but I assume Landy engine into landy body would be easier, even if they from different models. It would also be an excuse to look into playing with a motec or other aftermarket ECU since this may well be required. Wife still violently anti at this stage, so this is just a feasibility study at this point, but if I buy a TD5 defender, then I have to have a ready option for when the engine packs up.

Since I don't pay for petrol, there really seems to be no point in a diesel, and since our traffic is a nightmare, an auto is so much easier, so it seems like the perfect urban commuter to tie a defender together with a V8 Auto from a disco 1 or 2.

Reply to
Fanie

No challenge, just a bleeding long way to drive, for the driver, no distance at all for the Landie!

Reply to
GbH

In a V8 auto with (real) air con and a sun roof that doesn't leak

-perhaps I could make it for the world cup. Wonder how many litres of petrol it would take. I could solve the UK budget deficit at a stroke if I bought it all b4 I left.

I'm not sure which gearbox it is - Disco of some variety I think. They were built in 98.

Reply to
hugh

5,500 miles ish but the road distance may well be more call it 6,000. 15 to the gallon? Donno what a 4.0 V8 will do on bad roads... 400 gallons, 1800l.

Leave now, 37 days to the start of the World Cup, only 162 miles/day. B-)

The big snag will be getting all the visas and import/export documentation sorted out... Which way would you go? Down to Gibraltar and the west coast of Africa or round via Israel and the east coast?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Big Jiffy bag , jobs a good'un.

Or leave the keys in it... it'll be there in half the time.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Hahahahahaha!!

Reply to
hugh

Is that haha, you get 30 to the gallon or haha you only get 7?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes

Reply to
hugh

Just out of interest.....

What happened with the TD5?

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

Mine started using water with no signs of a leak. I took it in to get looked at thinking it would be a new head gasket, but it turned out to be a cylinder head cracked in multiple places. In South Africa, it was ZAR30K for the head, 11K for the gasket set, and 10k for labour which was not worth it on a car only worth ab about ZAR80k.

Reply to
Fanie

Outch!

As you say, not economic to fix, at over half the street value of the car. I guess petrol is somewhat lower cost there than it is here.

Cheers.

Dave.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

For those of you wondering, as I was, ZAR is South African Rand and today a 100ZAR gets you about £8.90!

Reply to
GbH