Disco zf 4 spped

I recently posted a quiz about the lock up clutch on my 300tdi not always loking up when it should.

I have since replaced the oil, however the H#**es lists the capacity of the auto box as 9.8l and I drained about 4,5l and replaced the same amount. Thus there remains about 5 and some change liters of old atf sitting in there.

While I was under there I noticed the a bolt which seemed to be under the torque converter and I thought it might be a plug to drain same, however, stupid W/S mannual has no info about plug and only goes are far as suggesting taking vehicle into your Local Landrover dealer where they can really bugger it up for you. Thus I did not chance removing the plug.

In my last post someone suggested chaning the atf as a first resort, however I can now report no major difference in performance. Another poster suggested that he has more detailed instructions that he could email (about

1.5Mb). If you are still out there could you please send any info you have to: steve (at) checkitsystems (dot) com

Much obliged and any other contributions welcome.

Regards' Stephen

Reply to
fanie

when I booked my Discovery in for the gearbox filter to be changed they recommended in the two weeks before it was being done I change the gearbox oil a couple of times as when you drain it about half stays in the torque convertor. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Your bolt in the torque convertor: Does it seem to be unrelated to any other series of bolts? Does it have (IIRC) a square rather than hex head? If so, it'll be the drain plug which, IIRC should only be fitted whilst wading and should have an adajcent parking point in the same general area. Assuming that you have it, does the handbook not mention it? (sorry)

Not sure if this is relevant to the Disco but. . . Referring to the w/s manual for my 88 RRC and the section for the ZF 4HP 22 gearbox:

The data section specifies 9.1 litres of ATF from dry and goes on to say that 'when draining oil from the ZF gearbox, oil will remain in the torque convertor, refill to high level on dipstick only.

What are the symptoms of the direct drive clutch problem? I can copy the relevant bits of the fauilt finding flow chart for you, but almost all roads lead to someone who understand autoboxes.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Are you SURE you are checking/refilling to the correct level ?

Low oil level in these boxes will cause a number of strange gearchange effects. Draining 4.5 lires out suggests you might be short of oil although some is always retained in the torque convertor ISTR it's normally about 4 litres.

When you refill the box you should refill it to the high level on the stick. Then start the engine and put the box into drive, then reverse, then drive again (repeat this two or three times) then put the box into neutral (don't forget the hand brake !) and check the level with the engine still running. The oil level should be between the two marks. In most cases where you just fill it up to the high mark you'll find that the oil level has now disappeared off the dipstick altogether and you need to add another half litre or so to get it back to the correct level.

HTH

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White