Discovery clicking on lock

Hi everyone. Haven't posted here for ages, since my experience with a Freelander (which replaced a 1990 Disco V8 which had been perfect) made me go LR - free for a few years.

However, I'm back in the fold, and have recently acquired a low-ish (73k) mileage 1996 V8i auto Discovery. I noticed it was giving out loud sharp clicks fom the front when on full lock, in either direction. However, these have now disappeared, and I would value opinions on this theory:

When I bought the car the diff lock light seemed inoperative, i.e. the lever was in 'unlocked', but when pushed over to 'locked' no indicator light came on.

It occurred to me today that the diff lock being on, on tarmac, could course wind-up and noises (at best), so I rather energetically operated the lever several times, and on came the light. I then 'unlocked' it again, light went out, and the clicking on steering then went, immediately.

Could the diff lock being stuck on have caused the noises? And is it possible that it was stuck on without the light operating, but waggling it in and out has freed it? Should I prepare for CVs etc to need replacing anyway?

Thanks for any ideas.

TFP

Reply to
TFP

so TFP was, like...

That clicking is almost 100% indicative of worn CVs. Possibly the difflock has at some time stuck on, and it's toasted the CV joints, or it may be a complete coincidence. Strange, because the difflock light is usually pretty reliable in telling you whather it's engaged or not.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Yeah, it's come back today. As a Mini owner of many years I thought it might be CVs................................

Thanks.

Reply to
TFP

so TFP was, like...

That's where I learned all about CVs! Kind of BL to educate us so thoroughly.

Reply to
Richard Brookman