Diff lock light

Is it possible for the diff lock light to be on ( whilst the diff lock lever is engaged) yet the diff lock itself not be engaged? I suppose I'm asking if the light is activated by a mechanical contact that is independant of true engagement.

Peter (2001 Td5)

Reply to
Peter Kinsella

Twas 3 Sep 2004 04:54:38 -0700 when snipped-for-privacy@iol.ie (Peter Kinsella) put finger to keyboard producing:

as I understand it the light is activated by the diff locking not the lever selecting so it the light is on the difflock is locked even if the lever is set unlocked. sometimes you can move the lever to unlocked but the diff is still locked and the light on due to transmision wind-up, a short drive forwards or backwads will usually allow it to unlock, I've heard that if it's stubborn you shold jack up one wheel for a moment or bounce it up a kerb.

or I may be talking crap, I'm having that kind of day......

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I've heard that weaving from side to sidewill help, reversing in an arc can help unlock a stubborn diff too.

I try to remember to unlock the diff as soon as its not needed but on occaisionally it gets forgotten, depends on the terrain. Sometimes the exit to a lane can be a bit slippy and dumps you straight onto tarmac, the reversing in an arc seems to work then.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Can be a bit of a shock to Series drivers who follow too close behind when you suddenly reverse back at them on rejoining the tarmac!!

Reply to
hugh
110 CSW 1998, had same problem and apparently the switch can be adjusted just as the handbrake light switch can. Not sure about Td5 though

Reply to
Hirsty's

Pardon me for going off topic a bit and showing my ignorance.

Diff Lock? LRs are 4x4, all 4 wheels driven. The diff lock lever locks the transfer box, yes? The axel diffs are not so locked. According to my understanding in slippy conditions this will result in 2x4. On each axel the one wheel on firm(er) ground will remain stationary and the other spin, So with the diff lock applied we have potentially all power going to 2 out of 4 wheels neither of which has any grip. IIUC all the power (torque) will go to the wheels with the least grip. Exactly the opposite of what we want. Tell me I'm wrong, please!

Reply to
GbH

Nope, thats the one, without the centre diff locked one spinning wheel results in landrover not going anywhere, lock the centre diff and you need two spinning wheels (one on each axle) and you won't go anywhere. So if you drop on side into a ditch or get cross axled you still ain't going anywhere.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Bell

Ah, so I'm not losing it. Now the axel diffs are interchangeable, so if they're both the same way up, the crown wheels will be such that the two wheels slipping with be diagonally opposite each other?

Reply to
GbH

Sorry, lost me there.

You can perfectly well have both wheels the same side slipping, or any three or all four.

What can't happen is only one wheel spinning, or just two on the same axle.

Assuming centre diff locked of course

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

On or around Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:02:08 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

not from here, yer right.

nope. any wheel on an free diff axle can slip.

put a locking or viscous diff in the back axle, you then have to have both back wheels and 1 front with no grip...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles blithered:

OK so, figured my error on the axel diffs, Just seemed to nicely explain why I couldn't get up that bleedin hill at the last trial I was at!

Reply to
GbH