Discovery Fuel Solenoid

Hi all,

Okay I am hoping the knowledgable people will be able to help.

For about the last six months the Disco (2.5 TDI, 1993 on a K plate , seven seater) has had to be revved to switch it off after I had taken the key out. Yeah I knew it was the solenoid and ignored it. Well a month ago it finally wouldn't switch back on and failed to start. Recovery came out and whipped the solenoid plunger out and it worked great, had to stall it to switch off though.

Anyway the local recovery garage fitted a new solenoid and all was fine and dandy for two days. Then had to rev it again to switch off. Anyway finally after a month (I was away on holiday for two weeks) it wouldn't sart. Recovery vehicle whipped out plunger and all fine and dandy.

Anyway the recovery garage are saying it is not their fault. I have looked at the plunger and it looks wrong. One that came out origianlly had a stainless steel lip and was perfectly round. This one has flat sides and is black powder coated (no stainless lip). So it is going in on Wednesday.

This is further complicated as the Landrover dealer says it is the worng solenoid after I have spoken to him today.

Anyway the recovery garage are saying - oh we have to strip down the pump now and that is £400 (for the strip down only - no parts). It seems they are arguing the plunger seat must be worn.

I suspect I am being told a yarn here and they simply need to fit the right part.

Any help anyone?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

In article , Andrew Renshaw writes

Hi

It is not uncommon for the pump to start to break up internally... the small filings stick to the magnetic part of the solenoid and give the problems that you describe. the only cure is to get a new pump.

But I am not saying that has happened to yours, just that it can.

Hope that helps

Reply to
marc