D2 TD5 - Unidentified fluid leak

Found a patch on the drive this morning, just below the steering box area so suspected that was the culprit, however the box looks pretty dry. The fluid that has liked is almost odourless and is clear with a tinge of yellow so am thinking it must be hydraulic fluid of some sort.

Any clues folks as I am baffled, there is a constant drip but I just cannot see where on earth it's coming from. Andy

< 1999 D2 TD5 GS Auto>
Reply to
Andy Cooke

Found a patch on the drive this morning, just below the steering box area so suspected that was the culprit, however the box looks pretty dry. The fluid that has liked is almost odourless and is clear with a tinge of yellow so am thinking it must be hydraulic fluid of some sort.

Any clues folks as I am baffled, there is a constant drip but I just cannot see where on earth it's coming from. Andy

< 1999 D2 TD5 GS Auto>

Andy

< 1996 110 300tdi CSW>

Sorry for the typo's, meant to see 'leaked' and not 'liked' FFS!!

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Could be coolant, if it has the orangey HOAT (Hybrid Organic Active Technology) coolant in it. Disco II radiators seem to like leaking from the side seams and there's a bunch of pipes/thermostat in the same area, lots of hose connections to potentially leak from. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Could be coolant, if it has the orangey HOAT (Hybrid Organic Active Technology) coolant in it. Disco II radiators seem to like leaking from the side seams and there's a bunch of pipes/thermostat in the same area, lots of hose connections to potentially leak from. Badger.

Oh bugger, I hope not, it does have the orange coolant, level seemed down a tad but nothing much, will keep a close eye on it and the temp gauge!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Is it watery or oily? Smell it - coolant has a very characteristic smell: you might smell it when the engine is warming up. At your own risk (!) taste it: again, very characteristic but just put a drop on your tongue. No swallowing.

Reply to
Dougal

Is it watery or oily? Smell it - coolant has a very characteristic smell: you might smell it when the engine is warming up. At your own risk (!) taste it: again, very characteristic but just put a drop on your tongue. No swallowing.

However, I am now pretty sure that the patch on the drive was indeed coolant that was expelled from the pressure relief valve and tube on the coolant expansion tank. I had a good poke round just now and the tube in question was dripping a tiny bit when I ran the engine. Also, a lot of coolant was being fed back into the expansion tank via the thin tube from the top of the radiator (think it is a radiator bleed tube)

Now I am more worried, am I right in thinking that excess pressure in the cooling system is usually a sign of something more ominous such as possible head gasket failure? It has only really happened this one time and it was while I was running the engine this morning to warm the car and clear the iced up windows.

Andy

< 1999 D2 TD5 GS Auto>
Reply to
Andy Cooke

That is possible but has it just been serviced and the coolant level topped up, possibly too much. Might be worth taking the presure cap off, checking the condition of the seal and the mating surface etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is possible but has it just been serviced and the coolant level topped up, possibly too much. Might be worth taking the presure cap off, checking the condition of the seal and the mating surface etc.

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Andy, check the top right hose for leakage, they go there & the new rad has a reducer valve fit.

It's not easy to spot, as it boils off quickly, but there are stains usually....

Reply to
Nige

And if you fiddle with the little many pointed star air bleed screwy thing do not be tempted to use a screwdriver in the slot. The plastic is very weak and there is a neck in the shaft just below the head. It is very easy to shear the head off, BTDTGTTS, fingers only when screwing in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice