Disguised Land Rover on M6 today

On the M6 today I saw in the oncoming land one of the disguised prototype Land Rovers, overall dimensions appeared to be similar to the newly unveiled Discovery 3 but the screen appeared more sloped than I had imagined and it was going at quite a pace in the outside lane. Are they still running the Disco 3 with the disguise on (had front grille and lights that looked like they had been stuck on off the 2004 freelander but the vehicle noticably bigger) or could this have been a Range Stormer prototype?

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Like this?

No, there isn't one ;-)

Reply to
Mother

No, that looks like an old Tranny van to me.

Oh...

Reply to
David French

I've seen disguised and undisguised ones out on the road recently. Most recent was an undisguised one on the M40 last week.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yes it looked very much like that, same colour too, so it's just a Disco 3 with the disguise kit on it? Why do they bother keeping the disguise after the motorshow launches?

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Could have been the new Range Rover Sport. It's based on the new Disco 3 chassis so easy to disguise as a Disco 3. It would be travelling fast if that was the case. :-) The Stormer was a Show Car or Design Study and I doubt it will ever be built, it just shows things that they are thinking about so best to look at the details not the whole car. Some details may appear in future models.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Fergus,

Anything like this?

-- Nelly

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Shhh.... You want to get me banned from the area?

Much of the Stormer design will appear in the new Freelander.

There's also a new Jaguar Concept in the making, which I very much doubt will ever get to manufacture as it's, erm, somewhat unconventional :-)

B*gger, banned it is then...

Reply to
Mother

Nope, closer examination will show slightly altered body panels to hide a larger engine and rear suspension. The drive train is also (so I'm told) quite different from the D3.

Reply to
Mother

The W reg Disco 3's I've seen locally have, until last week, had the same looking front lights as the range rover sport prototype on the C4 website. Saw a matt black V reg one last week with the same lights as the Disco 3 shown in the US motorshow. Not seen the RR Sport yet though.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

In message , Mother writes

I did hear from a L/R field service engineer last year that L/R were in the process of developing a 'new' RR with a 'very large Detroit diesel engine'.

Reply to
Graham Jones