Tyre recommendations (sorry, very popular topic I know!)

Hear goes yet another tyre question. sorry! I'm still under sided about what to get and with a budget of about £50 a tyre I'm hoping something good will come up on ebay. No rush on this... its not like I can't shut my wallet for cash and need to of load some! LOL

I've just heard a few conflicting opinions about SAGs (which are much more than my budget new). There supposed to be nearly unstoppable off road and so I hear where THE tyre to have for trailing but have since been superseded. But I've also heard they wear out fast on the road and there handling is too compromised anyway.

Anybody know what Deestone Extra Traction tyres are like on and off road? They look good with there very aggressive side wall lugs. And I think I can get them very near my budget.

Colway MTs in 235/85R16s are cheap enough but the depth of tread isn't all that great for there width.

I've always thought Michelin XCLs looked like the bee's knees but there also as hard to find, as I don't think there made anymore.

Avon Rangemaster tyres as fitted to new defenders (?) look probably the best compromise. must be something in it to be OE! Some where for sale at £50 each, new with rims, but in Kent.. no good as I'm in Cheshire.

I do appreciate any comments, tyres are something you can only buy on recommendations. at least with engines you've got numbers to look up and crunch! Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

There's loads of SAG equivalents around, by various manufacturers. I was recently quoted £68/tyre fitted for something that looked identical to a General SAG (to match two I've got) but was called "Security" and made in China. Off-road they're very good for a M/T tyre, on road they can be a little skippy in the wet, but no more than you'd expect from a M/T tyre. If you're looking for road handling, then you need to look at A/T tyres to start with.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

They wear very well for what they are too.

Reply to
EMB

Any makes better than others? Don't mined limited maxamum grip on the road aslong as the brake away is fairly prdictable. I've got colway ATs at the moment, can't fault them on the road in anyway but off road they just don't have enough grip. I offen pull a trailer in fields so when I need the grip, its got to be there! Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

AT's just won't cut it on rough stuff. If you're doing off-road work where you need grip, then you're gonna have to use a M/T tyre, and put up with the poorer on-road handling.

Not a lot to choose between a lot of M/T tyres at the cheaper end, it's a simple open-block lugged M/T tyre. Lost of companies do clever versions, which usually cost a lot more - up to £150 a tyre suit you? Kingpin used to do a really cheap M/T tyre. Or you could try something like a Bronco Diamond Black Remould (205R16 only) Colway do a C-Trax M/T Remould that's good value for money.

Personally I've got General SAG's front and rear (7.50x16), that I purchased some years ago, they've not seen a lot of use untill recently. Apart from the tendancy of the back end to step out when driven agressivly, but TBH it used to do this when I had thin 7.50 AT's on it as well. You get used to it

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:49:28 GMT, Alex enlightened us thusly:

MT remoulds are pretty good, a lot of the off-road types are using 'em.

Having said that, our disco did well on the off-road course on Goodrich ATs, (Colway us a very simialr pattern). The Nankang wide conqeuror is not a bad tyre, either, though slightly more than your ideal price.

The Bronco Grizzly Claw is a fantastic looking tyre, but ISTR they're not cheap.

I'd steer clear of crossplies, meself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've got General SAG 7.50 Crossplies on the front of my IIa at the moment, can't say I find a problem with them. Can't say I notice any difference with Radials anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thanks for the replies! I've just bought my self a set of General AT 7.50s off ebay! Look more agressive than the Colway ATs I've got but also look up to the job for road work. Thanks again, Toby

Reply to
TVS