Door problem - '96 Disco

I've been reading this group for quite a while now, ever since I got my Disco and my girlfriend went one better and get herself a 110.

The passenger door central locking mechanism on my Dicovery is now playing up. I've had the interior panel off to dig about for the problem but can't see what is causing it. The mechanism is being pushed pulled by the electric actuator but is not quite getting to open. If I lift the button on the inside or turn the key on the outside to push it a tiny bit further the door opens.

Does anybody know where I can make an adjustment to the system or are there parts that are known to wear out over time...the blue plastic hinge behind the lock cylinder may be slightly loose/worn although I don't want to start taking bits out unless I have to as my arms are too big and hairy to be fiddling around inside the door.

Thanks for any help.

Pip

Reply to
Pip

If it's anything like the 200Tdi, the actuators pack in after a while. You can buy a replacement for £7 from Maplins. I think it's a YD78 or 79 - the

4 wire version for the driver's door, the 2 wire for everything else. The Land Rover version does the same but will cost about 5 times as much. You may want to hook the actuator out and take it with you just in case it's different on the 300Tdi.

David.

Reply to
David French

It sounds in this case as though the actuator is OK, like mine was. You need the tiny little spring that breaks in two, but you can't get them so you have to buy the whole lock mechanism. About £40 if I remember right? It's a GM part! Unfortunately you can't get those either, so you are stuffed!

You can get them for the drivers door, so I guess you could buy the drivers lock and take the spring out of it - a very expensive way to get a quarter inch of cheap wire.

There is a guy on a website who has had some made - I'll let you know if I get around to contacting him and buying some.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Where in the linkage does it fit? Could this be the reason my front passenger lock is still U/S even though I replaced the actuator? I had it down to friction in the linkage.

Reply to
David French

Hi Pip, the good news is that you simply need to make an adjustment and don't have to replace the actuator.

If you look at the mechanics of the various rods involved you will find that the vertical (memory based statement) rod that connects to the button has a screw adjustment on it. To adjust you simply need to shorten it. To do this disconnect the end with the right angle and lock tab, and screw the rod around so that it becomes shorter.

Not hard to do, just hard to explain.

The process is explained in Section 12.31 of Haynes manual under

Adjustment Front Lock.

Cheers

Phillip Simps>I've been reading this group for quite a while now, ever since I got my

Reply to
Phillip Simpson