Easy way to remove paint from a galvanised surface?

Is there an easy way to do this? At present I'm scraping away using a sharpened knife blade. Is it OK to use a heat gun? Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Why not try a chemical paint remover?

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Are they safe on galv? Jon

Reply to
Jon

in article bnirq2$340$ snipped-for-privacy@thorium.cix.co.uk, Jon at snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net.swb wrote on 27/10/03 11:24:

Reverse psicology ( or however it's spelt). Try telling it to stay and that you don't want it to come off. I don't want mine to come off and it is flaking of in big lumps.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Good call! I'll also mention (in passing) that I'd like an oil slick and a freezing cab........ Jon

Reply to
Jon

Don't really see why not. Zinc is a fairly stable metal at normal temperaturtes so you shouldn't get a chemical reaction with the stripper.

I wouldn't recommend a hot air stripper unless you can be sure to keep localised temperatures below 150oC - Zinc will begin to reflow at a little bit above that and you'll (possibly) begin to change the character of the galvanising.

Many modern cars have body panels are made from galvanised steel. To ease the welding process the galvanised steel is reheated after it leaves the Zinc bath - this changes the amount of Zinc in the surface layers of the steel by encouraging iron molecules to migrate back to the surface, thereby making welding easier - it's then called Galvanneal.

Just a bit of useless information ...

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG