Electrical Question (slightly OT)

Hi

I have recently bought a 12v fridge for when I go camping (need to keep the beer cool), Rather than running it off the Landy battery, I would prefer to use one or two old batteries that I have lying around, which I would wish to charge whilst driving and then remove from the vehicle when setting up camp. I would be grateful for your advice on the following:

Where can I get a suitable diode to prevent the spare battery discharging into the vehicle electrical system, rather than the other way around?

If I connect the (discharged) spare battery to the (charged) vehicle battery and/or vehicle charging circuit, what sort of current will be drawn, and hence what thickness of wire should I use to connect the spare battery into the system?

Grateful for your thoughts.

Neil

1983 110V8 CSW
Reply to
Neil Cummins

Any auto electrician should be able to sell you a splitting diode or you can buy one here

Use wire rated above the maximum output of your alternator - I generally use 10mm2 cable, but cable the same size as your existing alternator charge cable will be fine (6mm2 on some wehicles).

Reply to
EMB

Hi Neil, I have a wiring diagram for split charging. Its in Acrobat format if you want it I could email it to you...

Reply to
Wolverine