best mail order tyres?

Hi

Having had a flat on the M4 this evening, I need to get hold of a pair of

750R16 tyres for my 1983 110 V8 (one to replace the now knackered trye and one to replace the rather suspect looking spare, which I want to use as little as possible!). Given that the steel wheels are somewhat past their best, I thought I would replace those as well - just with bog-stardard white steel rims. Ideally I would like to get this done by Friday, so I would be grateful for any suggestions for prompt mail-order companies that could supply said items. Also grateful for advice on choice of tyres - I do 98% on road, with a little beach or rough road stuff (towing a dinghy). Tyres that are currently fitted are Sime Centurion, which seem OK.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

On or around Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:52:53 +0100, "Neil Cummins" enlightened us thusly:

Check out such as Craddocks, they usually offer a deal on 4 wheels plus 4 tyres. often worth going for the 31x10.5R15 option - I had 4 wheels plus Pirelli ATs for 400 notes delivered a year or so back. Tyres that size are not more and sometimes slightly less than the 7.50R16 or 235/85R16 equivalents. As a side issue, they fit slightly wider which allows you to wind the lock stops in and get more lock, or mine did anyway. Despite being the same nominal diameter (31") they actually run slightly lower, but it's only about half an inch. I tended to run 'em at about 34 psi all round.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 2/6/04 8:41 am:

John Craddocks is where we've bought them the last two times. Took the Disco over and had them fitted there, but had just the tyres delivered for the RR. Ordered them before dinner on the Tuesday and they were delivered the following day by tea time.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley