Split charge and second battery.

Hi all, As you can see, 3 posts in one weekend...it's been a busy one for me! Anyway, going camping and I need to charge a second battery. I have bought a 'W4 Combi Master' fridge power supply relay and charging relay...and a second battery! The instructions are a little confusing as they only tell you how to wire it up to a12S socket. I can get a cable from the relay to a live ignition feed, a cable to an earth and a fused cable to battery positive or starter solenoid live feed. I am confused as the instructions go on to talk about connecting red and blue leads from the grey 12S cable to the relay. Is it safe if I just don't connect these 12S leads? The relay has the following connections, and I'll try to explain where the wires should be connected... H/DUTY 12V - Fused Battery Positive or Starter Solenoid feed. Earth - Earth (I'm sure about this one!).

12V Ign. - A lead that is only live when the ignition is on. Fridge 12S Red - I don't have this. Batt. Tr. 12S Blue - I don't have this either. Batt. Chg. - Does this go to the Positive on the second battery?

Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Wolverine. Big Red 110 CSW

Reply to
Wolverine

From what I can remember wiring up my own 12S socket, there are two wires in and three wires out. The two in are a permanent live fed through a 20 A fuse and an earth and the three out were a permanent live Green and two switched outputs, red for the fridge and blue for batery charging. No other relays are required as the unit switches the on the blue and red when the vehicle voltage rises above app13.5V.

Hope this helps

Peter.

Reply to
Pete S

I just want to connect a second battery to charge it up. I don't have a trailer or caravan 12S socket. So can I just have the fused live feed, earth, and ignition into the relay (can I forget about the red and the blue from the 12S going into the relay), and connect a wire from the positive of the second battery to the 'Batt.Charge' on the relay. A 12S socket should be...

1- Yellow - Reverse lights 2- Blue - Aux.Battery Charge (...or should this go the Positive on second battery?) 3- White - Earth 4- Green - Constant Live feed 5- Warning Lamp 6- Red - Fridge 7- Black - Fridge Earth

My head is battered!!! Wolverine Big Red 110 CSW

Reply to
Wolverine

Snip

The unit I got from Towshure dont need a feed from the ignition, it senses battery volts and asumes that the engine is running if the volts are above

13.5 and so automaticaly switches the power to the blue and red wires, if they fall below 13, it switches the power off to the wires. Suggest you just connect the power feed and earth to the input terminals and the second battery pos to the blue wire. The second battery neg should be grounded to the vehicle chassis. This should charge the second battery which can be used to supply all your goodies etc, and leave the primary battery to feed the vehicle normal electrics.

Peter.

Reply to
Pete S

I have a small second battery but everything running from that has dual circuit wiring, eg flourescent lights, cigarette lighter socket for accesories, water pump.

I just use the gizmo I got from a camping shop to isolate it from the main battery, it has several relays in it so can be used with a caravan battery via the appropriate socket and all the instructions came with it.

I am intending to get a solar panel to keep it topped up on camp sites as it is a rather small gel battery originally from an uninteruptable power supply, but I got it for free so who'se complaining

Reply to
Larry

If anyone's interested I found this link to some diagrams for a split charge/dual battery system...

Wolverine Big Red 110CSW

Reply to
Wolverine

Bloominm eck, yet another copy of the split charge diagram i did for my site about 6 years ago,

just under the bottom of the picture was a copyright notice i put on it, should have put it over the middle of the picture instead :)

that drawing was done based on VW type 2 campers, with a limited size alternator able to be fitted, hence the 10 amp charge rate was desireable, and thus the 10 amp fuses shown,

Sigh... i must get round to updating my split charge page on my site, that drawing's off my earlier site when i had a beach buggy, now got the kampenwagen, but still using bits off the olf garysbeachbuggy site.

Reply to
CampinGazz