EU Bullbar legislation

Used to be the Bar Manager in the bar at University, had to do the IIB certificate, and thats what we were told on the course. It is one of those things that a blind eye is generally turned to.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Blimey! *wades in*

puff! pant!

Well at least light guards are ok, the small cages that go over the lamps on the front. Annex 1 section 1.7 says so. No mention of anything other than "frontal protection systems", I wonder if they will put winch bumpers in with that? They do go on about the only purpose being frontal protection quite a lot, and that section 7 does allow for unspecified vehicles to be exempt from the "upper leg test", which is where you'd expect a winch to end up.

At any rate, section 2 starts going on about what the requirements for "frontal protection systems" are to comply with the directive, and TBH they don't appear to be that harsh, so it's not as if they're banning them from being fitted to new vehicles. Retrospective stuff doesn't seem to be there.

They don't have to adopt it, our pesky government has gained a reputation for being an enthusiastic adopter of EU legislation that other member states just don't bother with, and then "gold plating" it, i.e. going a few steps further than is suggested. They do not however *have* to adopt anything from europe (e.g. the euro or using km instead of miles), they just seem to be gung-ho for it. That's always puzzled me somewhat as you'd expect policitians to be reluctant to give up power.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Here you go (I must be bored tonight, third set of UK or EU legislation I've been through);

-------------------- (2) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to any of the uses of relevant imperial units which are permitted by Article 1(b) of the Units of Measurement Directive, that is to say; (a) the use of the mile, yard, foot or inch for road traffic signs, distance and speed measurement; (b) the use of the pint for dispensing draught beer and cider; (c) the use of the pint for milk in returnable containers; (d) the use of the acre for land registration; and (e) the use of the troy ounce for transactions in precious metals.

--------------------

Looks like once you add something to cider or beer, it theoretically is no longer is cider or beer so isn't covered. I suspect though that someone is being pedantic or over-cautious ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

When handed a glass with dubious measure I used to ask "Can you get a double whisky in there?" and when the barman said "Certainly sir" I said " Well why didn't you fill it up in the first place"

Wine Sir, that's wine, all tastes like battery acid to me.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I can still remember a friend getting drunk on half a shandy.. Chinese chap, alcohol intolerant, skin went red if he got alcohol on it. Strangely enough the gene that leads to alcohol intolerance is spreading, which goes to show that those who don't get drunk get laid..

Personally I'm quite keen on the stuff despite not being able to pronounce the label. I tend not to buy it though as I can happily sink 2 bottles of wine, I usually buy beer instead as I can only just sink 2 pints before feeling bloated and fat!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No it's not a ban, they just have to be safe, which is surely perfectly reasonable.

I did notice a bit that said the member states could make it retrospective if they wished, not sure if any are planning to do so though.

On the contrary, they do have to adopt new style directives within the stated time and even if they don't there was a test case that decided they become national law automatically even if not specifically adopted, the link below explains this:

Greg

On or around Mon, 06 Aug 2007 03:22:07 -0700, Greg enlightened us thusly:

however, my landies (both of 'em) have rather solid steel bumpers on the front from the factory, plenty strong enough to stand on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 06 Aug 2007 06:54:03 -0700, Greg enlightened us thusly:

so what are they going to do about the ones LR fit? Still the same bumper on the latest defenders... and I know for a fact that you can't make any impression on it with a 10lb sledgehammer, 'cos I once tried straightening one.

I guess we'll have to try not to run into people, then. Odd, that - I do that anyway, with a fair success rate.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well, in earlier posts you were stating that they were going to be banned, hence me saying "no they're not". Also I hardly think that they will be "safe" if an "approved" sticker is plastered onto it! Not unless the sticker is person-sized and made of foot-thick foam rubber ;-)

It also says it only applies to those who signed the Treaty of Rome, which IIRC we didn't, so we're not part of the "pillar". There seems to be variable commitment to implementing all sorts of EU policies throughout even the "pillar" countries though, so I suspect that the "legally binding" bit doesn't have much in the way of genuine teeth.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's a Disco, the front valance below the actual bumper, but attached to it, is weak plastic and does _nothing_ for 'pedestrian safety', similarly the end caps, but they do get ripped off when off-roading very easily by shrubbery, mud, and reversing out of deep holes..

I don't intend to hit my child with either, and if he _was_ hit by the plastic I took off then he would have had to have been laying in the road.

Your argument suggests you know f*ck all of which you speak.

Fine. Sent them pictures, including the diff and steering guards too. They suggested I'm less likely to claim, which doesn't equate to a reduction in premium payable, but that I'm also likely to drive fewer miles on the road as I drive more off-road. Again, however, no reduction in premium. :(

Reply to
Paul - xxx