Ours is pure eye candy ;-)

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Austin Shackles wibbled

Cheers Austin.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It's a bit more of the 'Big Brother' - they want to keep regular tabs on where it's located too.

Reply to
Dougal

They do actually send a reminder, and will generally accept non-receipt of said reminder as an excuse for not doing it. They also keep sending you shitty letters if you forget so it's unlikely to be overlooked for long (and with vehicle tax at around 100 quid a year even paying a couple of months worth doesn't hurt the pocket too much).

Reply to
EMB

No point in any of them, the government won't pay any attention.

How many million signed one a little while back on some other road/vehicle related subject. Governments response, bascially ignore the petition. They are just a sop to those that misguidely think that the government will pay any attention.

The only way to get the goverments attention is to wind up your MP and get him to ask questions of ministers/PM or start a bill. Early Day motions are not particulary rated as a method of getting attention paid to subjects.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite, if people obeyed the law then a awful lot of other laws wouldn't be required to try and make people obey the original one.

This particulary government seems to think simply introducing a new law will make people obey. Trouble is half the time the people they want to target are already happy to operate outside the law, so ignoring one more isn't going to make any difference.

Wish I could remember what I heard on the radio this morning that fitted this description.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In my first experience of SORN I assumed in my naivety that as the form did not mention any timescale for notification that there was no hurry. It came as a bit of a shock therefore to receive a 'bill'.

I paid up with a covering letter demanding a refund as I believed, having read the form numerous times, that this was not a time-dependant activity. I also suggested that there was considerable lack of clarity as to their requirement and that a rewording would be to everyone's benefit.

Surprisingly, I got my money back.

I don't think that the wording on the form has changed.

Reply to
Dougal

Firearms of some description?

Reply to
Dougal

TBH that's not much more effective, you have to get something that catches your MP's eye, won't do his/her career any damage and is more important than anything else they're dealing with at the time. The more methods the better, you need to make noise basically.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I propose any crime committed at the weekend or outside the hours of 10 till

4pm is made illegal.

Maybe I could get weekends off then. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:47:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Way I see it, it costs nothing (to me, directly) and it can't achieve less than doing sod-all.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, we could slash pay rates then too :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

:-)

Too late, they already have!

Fortunately the PCSO's and Civvys got there full rise backdated to go along with the shift allowance which I don't get and the 8 days extra leave I don't get.

I still wouldn't swap them mind but it does make you wonder.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You're still getting a lot more than I can afford to increase myself by, which is zero this year, and last.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Sounds like you need a PCSO application form. Kill two birds with one stone.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah but you'll be getting far more tax breaks than the wage slaves on PAYE...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nah, I like to work for a living.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I AM on PAYE. Just because you own the company doesn't let you evade that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:58:53 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

which reminds me, I still haven't filed last year's tax return.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah so you are an employee of your own company, rather than a Director taking "drawings" but as an employee you are entitled to milage at

40p/mile, roughly =A319/day for meals and another =A350ish for every 24h= r period you are away from "base", non-taxable and an non-taxable expense = to the business.

The company also gets significant tax breaks and as the company money is= sort of your earnings those tax breaks are to your benefit as well. I know I have paid far far less tax since becoming freelance (sole trader/selfemployed) than I used to on PAYE.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice