First time off-road in Discovery - a question

Had a brilliant time off-roading for the first time in my discovery over the weekend - it performed as expected. One question though - what is noise that I can hear on occasion, it seems to happen when one of the wheels looses traction. It sounds like a relay or ratcheting sound. My previous experience is in a Defender, so this noise is new to me. It is similar to the noise when the car starts. I hope I am describing the noise ok - if anyone has a better description... It was happening when I was in high gear and starting off - didn't notice it once I dropped to low gears, but it might be because I was having too much fun!!!! I hope there's nothing wrong with my disco!!! I have noticed it once or twice before when driving around country lanes and having to pull to the side and into mud etc.

UB

Reply to
Cymro Gwirion

Maybe you have a recent vehicle with traction control which acts like ABS but in reverse, braking wheels which overspeed.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It is an X-reg 2000 model. Does this make sense?

Reply to
Cymro Gwirion

It is a Discovery 2 then. It is likely to have traction control. It will make the same chattering noise when braking very hard on cow shit covered Welsh minor roads if it has ABS. AFAIK ABS and TC come as a package on Disco11.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In one of my lives I am occasionally responsible for the shit. LOL

Hwyl fawr a noswaeth dda,

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks Huw - With a good welsh name like that i guess you know too well about our shit covered roads then!!!

Reply to
Cymro Gwirion

All disco II have ABS and TC they would not get very far without it.

Reply to
marc

Could you please let us know what year/model/spec your disco is please, it could be many things really,

Reply to
Jinx

Could maybe be a limited slip diff?

Reply to
GbH

That's odd. One of the reasons I hate anyone living in Wales is because they / you have such _good_ roads. Fair do, some may resemble an off-road course, but compared to the roads in Sheffield they're a joy to drive.

I also hate the Welsh for other, petty reasons, like having a lot of clean air, superb scenery, Oggies, walks, climbs, lakes, good beer and a sense of humour - feckem, I hate em...

Reply to
Mother

Always liked Sheffield tho'!

Reply to
Cymro Gwirion

How about an excursion to the antipodes then (I'll even lend you my Series IIa). You'll hate it :-)

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:20:52 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

move to Wales, you know you want to...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:02:15 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Still quite tempted, at that. But I'd rather get the finances something like in order here first, rather than decamp owing quid in all directions. After all, I might want to come back...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Eeeeew.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I acknowledge that some people could read my post and think that I am claiming that I sometimes mysteriously change into a cow and mischievously or maliciously shit on the road.

I would like it on record that the above is certainly *not* what I meant.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:31:29 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

I blame it on that there Paul Daniels, meself.

whereabouts are you in the wilds of welsh wales, anyway? we must meet up sometime.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK so you didn't change into a cow!

Reply to
GbH

Yep, you're right. I hate the Aussies and Kiwis for all of the same reasons - PLUS generally more clement weather. B'stards.

I'd love to go on an extended holiday tour just so I could tell more of them / you...

(I did nearly grow up in Australia as my parents were planning on becoming "10 Pound Tourists". My Father, being a shepherd was finding it hard to get work in Peckham...)

Reply to
Mother

That's right ;-0

Huw