France?

Whats happening, we are prolly in for it?

Reply to
Nige

We are up for it, depending on dates and cost really...

If the cost it too much in the 90, we may have to settle for the golf to get there.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

We are up for it, Hopefully the early end of the hols Tail end of July into the start of August.

We probably won't green lane and will most likely go in the new toy. For us the social & Holiday aspect is probably more important than the Landrover and 'froading opportunities. Despite which It's a bugger if we break 'owt over there.

I'd say do it in the Golf anyway Mark, we'd most likely go in the Laguna if we weren't towing. You'll also be keener to do some jollies if not paying LR fuel prices and thats what it's all about in'it.

If we do have some kind of unofficial in October we can pool french camp sites ideas and try and decide on one or two. We booked the ferry for this year last October and the P & O geezer said we were the first by a long shot. The Campsite for this year we booked first thing in Jan and thats a site that is High in demand, again no problems. Depending on how peeps do it the ferry is going to be the main expenditure initially, camp site usually accept deposits and then pay closer too or on arrival. (when booking with the caravan club we settle up in May as a guide).

Here is one of the best web site places to go through other than the caravan club accepting people will be coming with tents.

Only thing I'd try and dodge is the sites that are highly commercial and you end up just being a pitch number rather than a person.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

No laning, Golfs, are you heathens LR men or pisswhipped manfannies?

Laning is king.

Reply to
Nige

BTW, it would still be ace to holiday with you folks BTW!

Reply to
Nige

Nige, can i get the correct definition of PissWhipped please?

If i go in the Golf, i can tank it to the brim on the fuel card at the port in England, which will help a lot in the costing...

But i really do like driving the defender..

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

OK I've just run through a quote on Britanny Ferries based on the following which is probably as expensive as any one will get.

2 Adults 2 Children 1 Infant

4x4 Large caravan

Outside cabin (i.e. with a porthole) 4 berth each way.

Overnight crossing departs around 2200 hours and arrives around 0700 hours in Caen from Portsmouth.

£594 (return)

To this we need to add - Insurance and breakdown, campsite fees and spending money.

all of the above but with only 1 car , 2 adults, cabin the same and crossing the same £388 (return) plus the above considerations.

the above for 2 adults , one car (no caravan) , overnight with 2 recliner chairs booked (not a cabin) , £250

None overnight for us with WITHOUT A CABIN

2 Adults 2 Children 1 Infant

4x4 Large caravan

£406 (return)

and again for 2 adults and a car. no cabin daytime crossing,

£230 (return)

all prices are quoted for Sept 9th crossing return being Sept 24th 07 (so may be a little more in peak season) and are provided as examples only.

Camping aint going to be a huge amount more than camping on a good site in GB.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hope you enjoyed writing that mate.

bet you cant wait :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Certainly resulted in a crafty grin and a little more reality dawning :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Or if you are poorer like myself, and willing to do more driving:

using the same dates as lee did (in 2007). Times dont seem to affect the price.

Dover-dunkirque. 2 hours crossing. Return ticket

2 people, car, £53 (or £60 if only 1 person!!) 2 people, motorhome £105

that is from

Euro brakedown is about £30 through my insurers for 1 week.

Reply to
Tom Woods

out of interest 2 peeps 2 kids 1 infant 4x4 and caravan over 7m please!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

£155.00 GBP if i make the return trip after 10pm. £230 if the return is before 10pm £155 crossing:

Route 1 : Dover to Dunkerque Departure Date/Time: Sun 09 September 2007 at 2359 Arrival Date/Time: Sun 09 September 2007 at 0259 Passengers: 2 Adults 1 Child 2 Infants Transport: Car and Trailer

Route 2 : Dunkerque to Dover Departure Date/Time: Mon 24 September 2007 at 2201 Arrival Date/Time: Mon 24 September 2007 at 2300 Passengers: 2 Adults 1 Child 2 Infants Transport: Car and Trailer

am gonna mess with the times now to see if i can make the 1/2 person

101 crossing any cheaper by using more antisocial times ;)
Reply to
Tom Woods

right - 84.00 GBP Route 1 - Route Details Route 1 : Dover to Dunkerque Departure Date/Time: Sun 09 September 2007 at 2359 Arrival Date/Time: Sun 09 September 2007 at 0259 Passengers: 2 Adults Transport: Motorhome

Route 2 - Route Details Route 2 : Dunkerque to Dover Departure Date/Time: Sun 23 September 2007 at 2358 Arrival Date/Time: Sun 23 September 2007 at 0100 Passengers: 2 Adults Transport: Motorhome

Reply to
Tom Woods

H'mmm are these all return prices Tom?

Would could always have an overnight circle of caravans on some service area. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

yep. quite a bit cheaper than your overnight ferry isnt it!.

I'm hoping i can get over and see the folks at some point before xmas and do it on £150-£200 or thereabouts all in (ferry crossing, 1 weeks euro break down and 3-4 tanks of LPG then food scavenged off the parents! ;) )

indeed. Staying overnight in an aire was my plan.

Reply to
Tom Woods