Freelander replacement?

Is there an updated version of or a replacement for the Freelander due anytime soon? I might find it tempting if it were just slightly larger and had something more powerful than the Rover-sourced V6 avaliable. I'm not quite sure why they've kept on with that powerplant, seeing as the 3.7 litre V6 in the similarly priced Jeep Liberty Limited is making a fair amount more power. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

2006, to be built at Halewood.

I'm not sure the transmission as it stands would take much more power. They had plenty of problems with the IRD in particular.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:31:19 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

and maybe a 3.7 would be too big to fit in the engine bay :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

One of the landie comics is doing a photo feature of a 4.6 into a Freelander in a couple of months...

Reply to
Mother

This crazy pursuit of power is surely not what it is all about, no wonder SUV's are getting a bad reputation.

If I wanted power I woud fit a gas turbine, and thereby also solve the heating problem :)

Reply to
Larry

B*ll*cks it isn't - gimmi more...

(Still dunno what to put the 5.2L TVR lump in...)

Reply to
Mother

I would respectfully suggest... a TVR.

Or possibly a Cobra replica if you want a proper blokes car.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You guys can buy an AC Superblower over there too. Same body as a Cobra, same basic chassis, but with a supercharged 5.0 litre Ford V9 rather than the N/A

289 or 427 avaliable in real Shelby jobs. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com, Steve Grauman blithered:

Odd number of pots, most unusual, don't think it'd work in a V but a Y maybe?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:52:53 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

nah, 's easy, one bank of 4 and one of 5:

1 3 5 7 9 2 4 6 8

the crank might be interesting though.

actually, volks-lot do a V5...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

IIRC, they use a balance weight or summat in place of the sixth cylinder. I think it is just derived from the 2.8 V6.

Or I could be talking total crap...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

LOL, woopz. Meant V8. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com, Steve Grauman blithered:

Think we've established it is probably possible if somewhat improbable.

Reply to
GbH

It is based on the 2.8 but with a new crank which negates the need for a balancer.

Reply to
Dave