Freelander TD4 - Pitfalls?

Hi All

My brother is seriously contemplating buying a Freelander 1 TD4. (I know, I know, I've tried to guide him to a P38.... I'm a "proper" 4x4 only guy, and I wont have anything with electronics on it, so my knowledge of Freelanders is zero.....

Any pitfalls to look out for? I dont know the TD4 engine, where did LR get it from? What sort of mileage do they go to before they pack up or need cambelt/chain doing? And is there a way of telling if the IRD is on its way out?

Cheers.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

TD4 is a BMW engine, with LR fettling. The engine itself is generally reliable, but not very brisk. Electrical problems are more common.

Viscous coupling failure will be guarenteed, as will the rear diff pinion bearng, budget for replacement during ownership.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Window regulators, viscous coupling (which if not fixed will wipe out the rest if the transmission - easiest symptom is vibration from "somewhere in the middle of the car" and the front wheels scuff when on full lock), front drive shaft inner CV joints (exactly the same symptoms as the viscous coupling failing, except the vibration feels towards the front rather than vaguely "in the middle somewhere" - the scuffing can occur too, for a nice red herring), turbo's (smoke and low power), wiper rack falling to bits, rear tailgate opening handle breaking, propshaft bearings. The engine has a chain, and should be good for the life of the car. Often overlooked, there is a filter under the rocker cover which, in common with a lot of BMW diesels, when it blocks will force oil out of every conceivable place - many engines (in BMW cars too) have been written off due to this, despite the fix being a =A32,00 filter element.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

A friend's company Freelander had at least 2 fuel pumps in it's relatively short tenure as a company runabout. They got shot of it before it ran out of warranty.

I have no idea how it was driven during its life and if that affected the fuel pumps but it was glacially slow to accelerate above about 40mph (and I had a non turbo diesel 306 estate at the time).

It also doesn't really drive or handle like a car, and isn't that much better than most cars when its slippery. It has better ground clearance than most cars but I felt it was the worst of both worlds.

The turbo on 4cyl Diesel BMWs has a reputation for going pop as it's a bit overstressed in the cars or something. Dunno about the unit as fitted to Freelander.

I am of the camp where I think its better to do the 4x4 thing properly or not at all.

Reply to
Douglas Payne