Freelander TD4

Hi guys,

I have a Freelander TD4 (2001) which is refusing to start.

The engine turns happy on the starter and sometimes tries to fire, but will not start. Leave it alone for a couple of hours and it starts first time.

Only this time its been left a while, and still won't start.

If the car was petrol powered, I would say that it was getting flooded, as the symptoms are similiar.

Does anybody know what the problem could be before I take it down the dealers?

Thanks

David

Reply to
Vertuas

Ime the fuel pump (located in the tank) gave erratic starting for a short period before it 'died' at around 76k miles. _If_ it is that diagnose, supply and fit at a Landrover Dealer is just a tad under £500.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hello Richard

Thanks for the reply, I really hope that it isn't that at £500! :o(

Do you know how a can get to the pump? I guess i should be able to hear it if it is working.

Kind Regards

David

Reply to
Vertuas

There is an inspection hole under the rear seat. Easy job

Reply to
Marc Draper

It is located behind rear seat ...... if you lift carpet you will see access point ...... screews holding in place a cover (fuel gauge sender I think).

I just dug out by bill. It was a tad under £400 so better news there. The job must be quite easy because diagnostics, replacement and testing was £90

  • VAT (at Landrover) ..... the bad news is the price of the part around £240+VAT ...... so you don't save that much by doing this job yourself and with that part price you really need to be sure that's the problem. I was recovered by GreenFlag so went straight to LR and they did it 'on the spot' while I watched the telly and had some tea ....... all very civilised.

Post back and let us know how you get on ......... if it's something different I can make a note for future reference.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'd guess that such a pump would be around £50 from a decent motor factors if available.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

You ought to be able to get one for something like this.....

WFX500070 Fuel Pump - Td4 - Freelander £205.62 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes 'that place' lol ;o) was about the cheapest I found when I got home a few weeks later and had a nose around the internet .......... & they ranged up to nearer £275 inc VAT ........ Landrover were about the most expensive at £282 inc VAT. At the time my options were very limited ......... wife two gun dogs & a caravan in the middle of a field. Still all things considered I was happy with the service I received from everyone.

Hopefully the chap doesn't need one ...............

Richard

Reply to
Richard

When it's being reluctant I assume you have tried pressing the accelerator slowly to the floor as you crank the engine. Hold the pedal down when it fires and let up when it stops being as rough as old boots, being ready to push down again if it starts to die.

This'll sometimes get something that is almost but not quite running to go. Generates lots of black smoke and noise. Worked with the old (injected) Mondeo so it's not just a trick for carb'd engines.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the reply.

I went out about lunch time today just to see what would happen and the damn thing started first time.

When i had gotten it home last night, about 10pm, it would not fire........leave it overnight and it goes first time.

I have no idea what is going on as it'll run perfectly for weeks then decide it needs a rest.

ThinK i will check fuel filters and the pump relay before i change the pump.

Kind Regards

David

Reply to
dvddude

Can you smell diesel anywhere around the engine compartment?

If so I'd check the quick release joint under the filter, located on the chassis leg, full right lock, and reach behind the wheel into the cut out in the N/S inner wing, feel the chassis leg and pipe work for any fuel.

Mine did exactly the same and was a pig to fire up, used to drain itself allowing air into the system overnight then would take a good 10mins of messing around to get it to fire..

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Thank Nigel

I will take a look. Its no so much that it won't start after being left. It just randomly won't start, and needs to be left a while before it will start....then it will be fine for two or three weeks.

Anything i can check before I pay dealer prices is a bonus!

Thanks Again

David

Reply to
dvddude

Check/clean/tighten electrical connection to solenoid on fuel injection pump.

Reply to
Dougal

Have you tried using the spare ignition key yet?

What you are describing sounds as though it could be an immobiliser problem, not a 100% sure how the immobiliser works on the TD4, if the steering column coil or key fails, does it stop the engine from turning over or just prevents the diesel pump from working. It's worth a try for nothing.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Hi Nigel

I will try that the next time it happens.

It does try to fire occassionally while it is being cracked, but i guess that could be fuel still in the system and the immobiliser isn;t letting more through, so theres no enough for it to start properly.

Thanks again

david

Reply to
Vertuas