freelander td4 squealling noise from engine when heater fan set to demist ?

Hi

When setting the blower fan to either demist the windscreen or to windscreen/top vents there is a loud squealling noise coming from the engine bay. If the blower directional setting is then moved to any of the other directions eg to feet only, the squealling stops. The noise does not vary with the fan speed setting and does not appear when the engine is not running.

I am somewhat baffled and any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Reply to
kjturner50

...and snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Seriously - check all your heater ducts for dead leaves and the like. I had exactly the same when I first had my P38. It was a dry, dead leaf behind one of the outlet grilles on the top of the dash.

It even had a part number. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Could be a loose fan belt, the extra current draw causing the alternator to require more power and therefore making the belt slip. Does it do it when you apply other heavy electrical loads?

Reply to
Peter

Loose aircon drive belt - IIRC it automagically comes on when the demist setting is selected.

Reply to
EMB