Freelander viscous coupling

I MOT'd a mates Freelander last night and gave it a quick check over as he was complaining that if he puts it on full lock it feels like the brakes have come on, I took this as transmission wind up I check the viscous coupling and there is no movement between the input and output side I jacked one rear wheel up and tried to turn it to no avail as I understand it the coupling only 'locks' up when there's a lot of slip between input and output sides so my question is "is it buggered or not"

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

No it's a Freelander quirk...a design feature as Landrover would have us belieive.

Lee D

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

It's absolutely normal, the rear diff is also a different ratio to the front and is what gives it it's permanent 4wd. If you jack one whole side up and spin either wheel,the other spins with it,that's how it is suppose to be.

Scotty '01 freelander TD4 auto

Reply to
dusty