4.6 V8 Viscous fan coupling

Collected my new (to me) 4.6 HSE and there was a 'grumbling' noise coming from the fan/water pump area.

On inspection I can move the fan which is attached to the viscous coupling and in turn bolted to the water pump. The whole thing is loose, pulley wheel, coupling and fan.

I have replaced a 3.9 water pump and know how that bolts together, is it the same with the 4.6? as my adjustable which fitted the 3.9 coupling nut is not big enough for this coupling nut so I cannot check it.

I am assuming all is similar or is there a known issue here with the viscous coupling connection to the water pump?

Please ... any help before I invest in a Haynes manual!!!!

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

I am feeling it is the water pump that is knackered.....as the coupling is bolted to the pump shaft........

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

so Alun P was, like...

Do you mean that the pulley is loose on the shaft (bad) or that the fan etc is free to turn when the engine is cold (normal)?

And there ain't a Haynes manual :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It transpires the shaft from the water pump was badly worn...the bearing was shot, so a new water pump went in today and all cured, no more 'orrible grinding noises..........

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P