Fuel cutoff

1991 Defender 200 Tdi I am attempting to put a switch in the fuel valve cutoff to act as a simple immobiliser. There are the usual wires coming from the ignition switch - Brown: feed White: live with ignition Red/White: Starter Solenoid White/Black: Glow plugs

In theory, breaking the white wire connection should stop the engine but it doesn't (It stops the wipers and the heater fan working but I don't think that would deter many car thieves).

Can anyone help?

Reply to
Swanning About

Check the end where it comes in to the switch it's self. Either to see the colour and trace the wire back or to splice a switch in.

Anyone clued up will quickly bypass this , but it will buy time and also save your car from the bulk of car theifs who just was a ride home or to park it in the nearest co-op window.

Lee.

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks Lee,

The wire going to the solenoid is definitely white so I might just follow your suggestion and break into that near the bulkhead.

To give a bit more background.... The "ignition on" terminal at the ignition switch has three white wires coming from it. Two spliced together and one on a piggy-back which powers the wipers, heater fan etc. Even with all three removed, the engine still runs.

I realise of course, as you say, it will never stop a determined thief but will at least deter casual theft.

Reply to
Swanning About

I incorporated a similar anti-theft device to all three diesel Discoveries that I've owned. Locating the cut-off wire under the dash can be a right PITA so I traced it back from the solenoid itself - much easier :-)

Rather than fit a separate switch I made use of unused ancillary switches on the dash panel (e.g. front fog lights) and wired it so that when the switch was in it's "off" position (as you'd expect to find it when the lights aren't on) then the solenoid circuit was broken and the engine would turn-over but not start. Switching the lights on enabled the engine to start.

I figured a thief might look for a dedicated switch but wouldn't think about the standard switches. Of course if they read this then now they'll know :-)

Reply to
SteveG

So how does one turn the engine off?

Reply to
GbH

The engine is stopped as normal by turning the ignition off. If the engine is running and I pull all three white wires off their connector on the back of the igition switch, it carries on running.

Reply to
Swanning About

While you have the wires disconnected, press the footbrake!

Reply to
Oily