Wiper Fuse

Hi all. I'm having problems with my 1986 2.5na 110 wiper fuse constant blowing as soon as I switch on the ignition, I have swapped out the wiper motor & control stalk for known good items & even disconnected both but makes no difference, checked as far as is possible the condition of the looms & all looking good & as in new condition, I'm the second owner from new and the previous owner was my employer so I know the looms haven't been tinkered with, so before I invest in a new ignition switch are there any checks I can carry out on it first, many thanks in adavnce for any help.

Reply to
GrahamLR110

I have had problems with the original switches on my 90 especially the wiper switch which constantly fused as you say and the light switch which broke inside and burnt out some wiring. The wiper switch was a bugger as it falls apart as soon as you try to remove it, at the moment because I removed the strange spring inside the switch I have no flick/wipe but the 2 speeds are OK, will need to get \ new switch IDC but at least it doesn't keep fusing anymore.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Hi Bob. Thanks for your reply, I also discovered that the wiper switch isnt very robust as the roller ball that makes the contacts for the various positions fell out when I removed the switch hence why I swapped it for a known item, my problem is I think the igition switch as the wiper fuse blows with both the wiper motor & switch disconnected, Dr Haynes wiring diagram states that the reversing light switch is on the same circiut, so I have also disconnected that but still the fuse blows, thanks.

Reply to
GrahamLR110

If I'm looking at the correct wiring diagram the wiper shares the fuse with the brake lights and the indicators.

Do this logically: disconnect all the output cables from the fuse in question the replace in turn and see which is the problem. The aforementioned lights are commoned on one of the outlet cables, the wipers on the other. You'll be able to separate the brake and indicator circuits at the brake light switch.

Don't waste time/money on an ignition switch - I can't see the slightest reason for it being the problem. You need to be looking on the downstream side of the affected fuse.

Have you a wiring diagram? Could you understand it if I sent you a copy? Is your e-mail address valid?

Reply to
Dougal

Correcting myself - rubbish!

It's the reversing lights as you say that share the fuse not the brake/indicators.

Reply to
Dougal

You must disconnect the output circuits at the fuse box otherwise the cable between the fuse and first/later components is still in the circuit and if shorted to earth will give rise to the sort of problem you report.

Reply to
Dougal

I will disconnect the outputs as you have suggested, my email is valid so if you have a better circuit diagram than the Haynes one I would be very grateful for a copy, many thanks.

Reply to
GrahamLR110

"GrahamLR110" wrote ((SNIP))

I've sent you a scan of the one from my original 1986 handbook. 4 scans as it's bigger than A4 plus two pages of Key. Hope it helps.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Got that one!

Reply to
Nige

Bob,

Many thanks, all received.

Graham

Reply to
GrahamLR110

You're the reason I had it available, bloody scanner has since decided it doesn't like Windows 7. 64 bit.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bob, The circuit diagram you mailed me was a great help thanks, turned out to be the blower motor is the cause of my problem, now I have the job of reassembling all the wiring looms & dash that I took off/out for the investigation.

Reply to
Graham LR110

Seized solid?

Reply to
Nige

Nige, I haven't had time to check if seized but it was blowing a 15 amp fuse instantly, as a new blower motor isnt very expensive I might just purchase a new one.

Reply to
Graham LR110

What a job to do though, also there's a resistor too.

Reply to
Nige

Paddocks assured me today that it comes complete with the resistor pack.

Reply to
Graham LR110

Easy way to check if it's siezed, take off the wing top vent & poke the fan, mine was solid.....

Reply to
Nige

How much did you pay btw?

Reply to
Nige

Nige, Genuine 9k miles, 12 month T&T =A31500

Reply to
Graham LR110

heh, i meant the heater motor :)

Reply to