Fuel feed / spill pipe. V8 required for my Percy

I'm looking for the pipework and unions etc that fasten across the front of the carbs and then has a silghtly narrower return pipe. This seems to be missing from both Percys donor engines (SD1's) Has any one got any trash carbs with the bits on to get my Percy throbbing again please. Beer token awaits.

Next time I'm in the 101 I'll take a piccy if required but should be pretty obvious to anyone who has the bit.

;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

That's 'cos the SD1 didn't have a return line. Are you talking Strombergs (If so, shame on you!) or SU's? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

All that stuff is on the site - look in Defender V8

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

H'mmm to be honest I'm not 100% what they are by sight and the markings with the name on will be on the bottom of the float chamber plate... I have a vague recollection of a plate with "FXZ " or similar prefixed if that sheds any light....

Then again there are a pair of range rover carbs floating around the garage too on a manifold that came with the bundle..... I'm not helping much am I :o(

Will my Ex Range rover Pacet fuel pump be happy without a return line or am I going to have problems with flooding or otherwise?

Just took a look at Gowerlee's site and they aren't stromburgs... I'm certain they are HIF SU's if the image is anything to go by.

The 101 definately has Stromburgs on and does have the return feed union which is probably what has mislead me a tad. Are Stromburgs not the Carb of Choice?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

That would be an SU part number then.

Not yet.... :-)

Hot starting will be an issue, due to fuel evapourating in the line with the heat-soak effect from the engine.

No, they're designed to meet emissions that the older SU HS series carbs couldn't meet, the SU HIF series are a better carb, they stay in tune longer than Strombergs, give slightly more power and don't have those awful rubber diaphragms in them!

When you fit your return line, insert a restrictor of some kind (When I converted my 110 from 2.25 to V8 many years ago I used a 4.8mm tucker-pop rivet with the centre pin removed - it was a good snug fit in the pipe!!) in the return, close to the carbs. This is to ensure that the feed of fuel is sufficient when demand is high, such as towing a heavy trailer up a hill at fairly high revs and a lot of throttle. It was a rangie's pacet pump that I fitted to that as well. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Cheers :o)

I've got a few "t pieces" which I can use from the old Jag plumbing... just have to dig myself a pop rivet out now, should be ok...theres about 3000 parked next to the IIa ;0)

I'm tempted to bung the spare set of carbs off the spare lump onto the 101 just to see the effect. I think Martin had good results.. just need to find a linkage bar to join the choke levers as I've just robbed that for Percy too.

Thanks again!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D