fuel tank capacity

Hi, I bought a 98 TJ Sport 6 cylinder. The dealer window sticker was still with the paperwork and it says it has a 15 gallon tank. Is this accurate? I had assumed the tank would be cloer to 20 gallon. Thanks, Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

It is an either or situation on the TJ I believe unlike the YJ were they just 'faked' the 15 gallon tank by moving the filler vent.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Actually if you really knew anything you would know that 15 gallons is standard and there was a option for a 20 gallon tank.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Oh really?

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Both the TJ and later YJ tanks can be converted to 20 gallons by trimming the vent tube. The only problem is that your gauge will read full until the last 15 gallons start being used.

Reply to
nrs

So they faked out some of the early TJ's too? I thought I remembered something about that.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I was just reading around and found out you have a 19 gallon tank in your 98 TJ.

If the sticker says it is a 15 gallon tank, they put a float ball stopper in the fill tube so it shuts off at 15, but the tank is the same.

You can drop the tank and remove this ball by trimming the tube back.

Here is a link with directions about halfway down:

You then would need the 19 gallon sender or just realize your gauge just reads the bottom 3/4 of the tank. I have had cars like that...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Why on Earth would they do something like that? You usually know what your talking about and I'm not disputing you, it just sounds like a really stupid thing to do... so if they really did do it I'm sure it was to meet some goofy government regulation.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

What did he say that was wrong and that would warrant such a condescending response? Not only that but there was nothing relevant or contributary in your post. You're really reaching far to insult others aren't you? Pathetic...

Reply to
Heatwave

I can't imagine why they would do that either, unless it was to make some easy money on people ordering the upgrade to the 20 gallon tank. There are sites all over the net on how to do the fix though.

Chris

They must've changed the spec sheets in later years, 'cause I have a

2006 Wrangler X and my spec sheet does say 19 gallons. However, the manual states that when the 'low gas, dummy' light comes on, you have approximately 2 gallons of gas left. I have intentionally travelled as far as I have dared around my town with this light on (never more than walking distance from a gas station if it quit), and even when I fill it, I have never been able to put more than 17.5 gallons in it. So I am not sure if the gauge reads wrong, or if the tank is not really a 19 gallon tank.
Reply to
Tracie

It may be a different tank as compared to the earlier TJs. Most fuel gages don't read as accurate as we'd like to think. My truck can run well below empty for quite a while, but I have pushed it too far a couple times and ended up walking a short distance.

Chris

It's a Daimler/Kraut thing, Americans wouldn't understand. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bingo! God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I've let the needle actually cross over onto the idiot light before refeuling, but it's risky ;-) Usually, when I refuel anywhere between the last line and the light, I can only get to within 2 gallons of max.

(95 XJ Auto 4x4)

noneofyourbusiness

It must be cheaper to do it that way rather than design a new skid plate and strap setup.

The later 4.0 YJ's are the same, one tank fits all with just the filler vent deeper on the 'smaller' tank.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

I always take any 'new' to me vehicle I buy and put a full gas can on board 'planning' to run out of gas.

I do this on a specific run so I don't have any surprises.

I mark the odometer when the light come on, then I mark it a second time when the gauge is 'exactly' on the E line, then again when the needle stops moving if I can notice that.

I then drive until it sputters, pull over and put gas in from the can to get to a gas station.

This lets me know exactly how many miles I have left at the bottom parts of the gauge.

Some vehicles have given up to 70 miles after the gauge read E, others like my CJ7 are 'out' of gas when it hits E.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

LOL I always whenever possible take heed of the advice the old farmer I used to work for gave me.

"Keep the top half full, the bottom half will never go dry"

Every winter when we're out snowmobiling in Quebec Gas stations are far and between, riding those gas guzzelers (My 4.0litre Rubie gets better mileage than my little 0.5litre sled) we NEVER pass up a gas staion. Even if it's down a quarter tank

Nothing like that nervous feeling, when you're not quite sure where you are, It's -20C out, soon to be dark and you only got a 1/8 tank left

:-)

Mike Roma>

Reply to
FrankW

Also, production volume increases since all vehicles get the (mostly) same tank and setup costs decrease because the production line doesn=B4t have to switch from one tank size to another. Sounds good and it's true, but it seems they could have saved a little bit more by just providing 20 gallon tanks in all vehicles!

Reply to
nrs