Gaydon Pic links here please.

Seeing as we aren't going this year someone please feed my habit and let us know what (if anything) we missed.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee haven't they finished titvating Trentham yet I was checking to see if the 4x4 Show was on the calender but not this year and there doesn't seem anything else in the NW either I feel unwanted Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

It's gone all posh now... lots being spent but it's become a log cabin shopping mall full of arty shops , a monkey park and a proposed log cabin retreat. I'm not aware of the Quarry / off road area being used for a long time and the National 4x4 seems to have moved to Stonleigh county show ground. We did the National 4x4 last year for the weekend Fri, Sat and return Sunday... it was really only big enough to justify a day there really though... which is pretty reflective of when it was at Trentham.

The North West is most lacking in events it has to be said. Must be more Trees to hug per head. Knutsford would make a good venue location wise for it's links to Arterial roads and position ...not sure of any muddyness off road type locations there though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

There's an old airfield somewhere near Lymm which I imagine has somewhere to play.

Reply to
Pete M

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:11:12 +0100, "Lee_D" scribbled the following nonsense:

you missed nothing, believe me.

Bit of sun on saturday, and that was about it. The show filled about

1/4 of the car park this year, 1/4 with that Terrapod thing, and the other half was a............. car park! Oh, and 08:35 was the first rendition of "petrol, propane, butane, diesel"

Saturday evening boring, apart from the real ale bar.

Sunday rainy, 08:15 for "petrol, propane, butane, diesel" and at "11:00 the most exciting part about the show" (according to the compere) happened.... 100 landrovers in convoy.

About 5 vehicles on the 101 club stand, no camel trophy stand that I could see. Basically I felt it was a poor event!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

ROFL!

Coor thats low!

Shame, was one of may favorites too but seems to be in a spiraling decline.

Looking forwards to Eastnor though, too far for us for a day trip really but given the plan is to go for the weekend this time and probably take in some scenary too. Also looking forwards to meeting the possie ;-)

I imagine Tom should pop up in a mo given we have had some sunshine to say He'll be in the 101 by then. What about it then Tom or have I got to send Mum around to show you the ropes.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Indeed - pretty much why we didn't bother this year. Thing is, with a show like that (with some quite 'real' heritage) needs to be talked up and supported in partnership with the organisers and clubs.

Chris Savidge willed it into being by sheer determination - he'll be spinning in his grave now.

Charlotte and I seem to be getting more selective over what we do - five years doing the shows talking up the 101 club gets a tad 'sameish'and a bit tedious when you just see the same old stuph. We go to do things for the 'people' really, and that's why the growing 'unofficial' events are getting more priority on our list.

Well yes, Eastnor is a different kettle of elephants to the majority of the shows - pretty laid-back and always good(ish) weather. The other show which really raises the bar is the LRO Show at Malvern. Basically it's everything that Billing "isn't" - clean, friendly, non-zoo-like and extrememly well organised with a focus upon having a good time rather than just picking your pocket at every possible opportunity.

I can also recommend Driffield (in two weeks). A fairly basic and no-frills show which did get a bit of a reputation for scumbag theives nicking anything in sight - then plod came in mobhanded and took everyone away (mind, the little buggers then tried to break into the Police compound to get their nicked stuff back!).

Last year the organisation was better and security seemed effective at stopping the thieves. A fairly good on-site funfair but more than anything else, a good all-round bunch of mildly insane yet incredibly friendly folk just having a good time (the off-road course ain't too bad, either).

Reply to
Mother

Dont talk about 101's :( I feel like im never going to have time to do anything to it how things are going at the moment, and judging by how my money just seems to be evaporating!

Does anybody have any suggestion about how i can make more time?. I reckon an extra weekend each week would do me! Paid ofcourse..

I can now strip and rebuild a saab engine in approx 16 hours and if it doesnt work right this time I might drive the 101 over it or something!.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Talking of shows, does anyone know if there are two Sodbury Sortouts this year, in previous years there was one in April and another in October, but I only see the April show on the website. I missed the April one due to someone getting married on that day and could have done with getting some parts to ready the landy for sale.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I feel the knowing ;-) , just tinker with the small rewarding jobs that cost nowt... I site my spare wheel carrier made from tat... and more recently pulling my latest trailer to bits and moving the rear axle closer to the front one (i.e. where it should be)

I find shleving "things" helps.. Percys rechassis has been shelved for at least 12 months..will be for another 12 months, that way when I do it I won't be skint and may just enjoy the process... I've also got an exam to prep for (again!) so can burry myself in legistlation knowing I'm saving a small fortune doing same. :-) (DON'T shatter my illusion, so far it seems to be working!)

I once rushed a custom VW Beetle, It was a wizard roadster, suicide doors, solinoid locks (late 80's before the "boyz" fitted them to shopping trollies) , one piece flip fibreglass front, trick rear end which easily disassembled allowing the engine to be removed without jacking the car up. Just apply trolley jack to engine. Because I cut corners I disliked the end result, got fed up and flogged it. It was a steep learning curve but as

shows I don't rush them now...just let them happen.

Re the shows, forget the 101 for now... we'll bung you a line between two trucks and you can do a Ray Mears Tarp tent... fingers crossed it'll be so hot if you can get to Eastnor you'll have the best room in the ground ;-) And theres always the silly big tents ect ect. :-) I'm always gutted to go in the Disco as it seems so "normal" I mean wheres the fun in that but occasionally needs must and they may must again.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D