I've got £800

I want a tax exempt landrover.

I know nothing about them.

I've never driven one.

I want it for driving to work and back ( 10 miles away ) + carting stuff around as and when required.

I have no other reason to want one, other than I like them.

What can I get?

Is £800 realistic for a roadworthy vehicle that I would feel safe putting my

2 yo little boy's car seat in?
Reply to
Quagga.R.T.M

Quagga.R.T.M uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I was all positive until you mentioned the last bit. It would IMO need to be a 5 door station wagon with properly fitted seat belts which are suited to the child seat so as no to break little'un neclk in a emergency. I don't think £800 would get a decent 109 station wagon, unless sorted they will need outriggers, door frames, door tops, rear cross members, side lower door frame / cill reenforcement. Sis had one but it was given too her... hers wasn't tax exempt and she probably did no more than 500 miles in it after we sorted it.

It's subsequently been sold and the chap who bought it shipped it to the US. Any other series landie is simply not really ones I would recommend with issues over aftermarket forward facing seats... side facing seats and such like.

Now you have to get over the issue of properly fitting seat... this has been discussed here recently and made my head hurt.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

You really need to re-examine what you are looking for. =A3800 will not buy you something reliable for work unless you are very lucky. A well sorted series Land Rover will set you back at least =A31500 and you need to get someone to help you buy or you will be ripped off if you have no experience of the vehicle. It wil cost you a lot to use for work only

10 miles each way, the engine will barely warm up.

You will be buying on condition not age or mileage so forget about tax free, look on it as a bonus if you get it, plus there are some dodgy V5s out there. The only seat you can fit a child seat into is the passenger seat, fine for the occaisional fun trip with the kid.

Sorry to sound so negative but I think we would rather see you hooked on Land Rovers, not put off for life by your first experience! Beg a drive off someone first to see if you can put up with it, you'll love it or hate it!!

I was in your position 25 years ago before there was free advice and forums about and got well and truly ripped off!. Still here 25 years and seven Land Rovers later; several thousand pounds poorer and still wouldn't drive anything else for fun. Given up doing it for work though (company car and fuel!)

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5 NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

I suspect the only £800 Land Rover product that would be safe enough and day to day liveable would probably be a Range Rover from around 1986/7. I've got two which cost less than £800 and are used daily.

Reply to
Pete M

If you're prepared to shop around you should be able to get a good one for that - long wheel base are often much better value tham short there's a *very* nice 109 SIII Truck Cab (not tax exempt though) on the wall here for £900 ono.

I'd find a suitable child seat first - then look for the car.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd