gearbox life

My '96 Disco is at 360.000km running out of its engine, oil leaking out of the headgasket, and crackshaft rings. Pressure in the cylinders is going down.

A nasty additif solved some of the leakage but I am looking for options.

I could change the engine for an overhauled 300tdi model, the 2.8l International diesel looks very tempting...

but whatif tomorrow the gear breaks up or anything else?

Any ideas about the life of the drivechain of a Disco I?

Thanks Jurjen

Reply to
Jurjen Bolsenbroek

Google reckons 360,000Km is 223,693.629 miles, which is barely run in for a Tdi (well, ok, but 300,000 miles is no big deal for one). I think your description is that the head gasket has failed, I'm not sure if you are saying that the rings are worn, or you just think they might be. Either way, a new set of pistons, head gasket, sump goo and a top end set "only" comes to 250.00 quid or so, plus whetever a head test and the one days labour would be in your neck of the woods. That's way less than a recon engine would cost, plus you know the engines history ("better the devil you know"!) so you could be sure there is more "re" than "con". Gearboxes do fail, but ones with a cross-drilled transfer box input gear will last quite well. The rest of the drivetrain will also last - the diffs will go on forever unless abused, the propshafts will need the odd UJ (perfectly normal), same for hubs etc. Basically, if the body is sound then the drivetrain is worth fixing, but if the body has got bad then you either have to get it sorted out properly or look for something else.

Just my 2p while Coronation Street is on.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds