Old topic I know : Aluminium Corrossion repair?

Being a theoretical chemist, this is makes me feel inadequate :-)))

How the h...l do I prepare white corroded aluminium and paint/seal it to slow any further corrossion ?

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

In message , Hirsty's writes

In looking around the Loctite website to see if there was any mention if their little bottle of turn-rust-into-something-black that I recently bought from a chain store (there didn't seem to be), I saw that they seem to produce a little bottle of aluminium corrosion inhibitor. I think it was in the cleaning section.

Has anyone ever come across this in the flesh? Or even tried it?

Incidentally and totally OT, my son and I used an appallingly expensive 'ScrewLock' substance like (but not) Loctite on the bolt fixing a metal bracket to the plastic mounting for his satnav.

The plastic dissolved completely.

Reply to
Bill

Rust cure thats good stuff a phosphate treatment that works on steel, ally is a different deal best advice is to pop over to Stephen Hulls website usual treatment for ally is an acid etch primer

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I've got some of this Alu-cure

which seems to work reasonably well on cleaning up aluminium castings

- carbs etc. but it is in no way as effective as the rust converters like jenolite.

I didn't get it from the above website, in fact I cannot remember where I got it from, but IIRC it was obtained from somewhere/something to do with motorcycles rather than cars.

As for sealing it against further corrosion, this is impossible if the aluminium is in contact with steel, as electrolytic corrision will occur. RR/Disco body panels are a favourite for this, if the body sealant has not been applied correctly between the steel body structure and the body panels.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In message , Bill writes