GKN Overdrive - Advice Needed

Left a deposit on a 300 TDi 90 today, cracking condition and runs like a dream. It has a GKN overdrive fitted (electric operation via gearknob switch) the seller reckons it cost over a grand (seems to be right from LRO etc) but I have no experience of these devices. Will it be reliable? Does it make the car more or less attractive? If it fails will I still have normal gears?

Help appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

These things are (generally) bullet-proof .. if you break it you're doing something drastically wrong :-)

On a Defender it'll be very worthwhile if you do much motorway driving as it reduces the noise quite dramatically as well as giving better fuel consumption.

I'm sure there will be a failure mode that will leave you stranded but it's designed to fail-safe and leave you with normal gears.

If I was looking at 2 otherwise equal Defenders I'd plumb for the overdrive fitted one for sure.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG